36 Magnet Schools Honored with National Recognition
The Magnet Schools of America (MSA) National Merit Awards program has named a total of 36 WCPSS magnet schools as either Schools of Excellence or Schools of Distinction.
Eleven schools have been named Schools of Excellence and 25 have been named Schools of Distinction by MSA. The total number of schools recognized is up five from last year's total of 31.
To receive a national merit award, members of Magnet Schools of America must submit a detailed application that is scored by a panel of educators. These schools are judged and scored on their demonstrated ability to raise student academic achievement, promote racial and socioeconomic diversity, provide integrated curricula and instruction, and create strong family and community partnerships that enhance the school’s magnet theme.
There are two categories of awards that have been established by MSA:
Magnet School of Excellence Awards are given to only a select group of magnet schools that have demonstrated the highest level of excellence in all facets of the merit award application.
Magnet School of Distinction Awards are the second level of awards and are given to magnet schools that have met all the basic requirements outlined in the merit awards scoring rubric.
Magnet applications for the 2019-20 school year are being accepted through Jan. 30.
Following is a list of those magnet schools recognized this year.
Schools of Excellence
- Athens Drive Center for Medical Sciences and Global Health Initiatives Magnet High
- Daniels Global Studies/Language Immersion Magnet Middle
- Farmington Woods International Baccalaureate PYP Magnet Elementary
- Fox International Baccalaureate PYP Magnet Elementary
- Joyner Center for Spanish Language/IB PYP Magnet Elementary
- Martin Gifted & Talented Magnet Middle
- Millbrook International Baccalaureate Middle Years & Diploma Programme Magnet High
- Moore Square Gifted & Talented/ AIG Basics Magnet Middle
- Reedy Creek Magnet Middle Center for the Digital Sciences
- Wake STEM Early College High
- Wiley International Studies Magnet Elementary
Schools of Distinction
- Brooks Museums Magnet Elementary
- Brentwood Magnet Elementary School of Engineering
- Broughton Global Studies/Language Immersion Magnet High
- Carnage Gifted and Talented/AIG Basics Magnet Middle
- Carroll Leadership in Technology Magnet Middle
- Combs Leadership Program Magnet Elementary
- Centennial Campus University Connections & Leadership Magnet Middle
- Conn Magnet Elementary School of Entrepreneurial Design
- Douglas Creative Arts and Science Magnet Elementary
- East Garner International Baccalaureate MYP/Creative Arts Magnet Middle
- East Millbrook Academy of Visual and Performing Arts Magnet Middle
- Enloe Gifted and Talented/International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme Magnet High
- Fuller Gifted and Talented/AIG Basics Magnet Elementary
- Garner International Baccalaureate Middle Years & Diploma Programme Magnet High
- Green Leadership and World Languages Magnet Elementary
- Hunter Gifted & Talented / AIG Basics Magnet Elementary
- Kingswood Montessori/STEM Magnet Elementary
- Ligon Gifted & Talented/AIG Basics Magnet Middle
- Powell Center for Play and Ingenuity Magnet Elementary
- Smith International Baccalaureate PYP Magnet Elementary
- Vernon Malone College and Career Academy
- Wake Early College of Health and Science High
- Washington Gifted and Talented Magnet Elementary
- Wendell Creative Arts & Science Magnet Elementary
- Zebulon Gifted and Talented Magnet Middle
Visit MSA National Merit Awards, for more information.