Applications are NOT first-come, first-served. Families are notified via email if they receive a seat a school to which they applied.
Tutorial video on how to submit a Magnet/Year-round application
Only students who are enrolled in a Wake County Public School System school for the 2023-24 school year can apply. If your student does not currently attend a WCPSS school (ie. rising into kindergarten, homeschooled, or currently attending a charter or private school) they will need to enroll online and get a student ID number prior to submitting an application.
Families can apply to more than one school, including applying to multiple magnet and year-round choice schools. You should know that applications are prioritized based on the type of school. Learn how we prioritize multiple applications.
The purpose of the magnet schools program is to reduce high concentrations of poverty in schools; promote diverse, integrated school populations; maximize the use of school facilities and provide innovative educational opportunities. To that end, we consider two key factors in the magnet selection process:
- Projected overall socioeconomic status of the school to which that student is assigned for next year.
- Socioeconomic status of the area where the applying student resides
Learn how we select students for magnet schools based on these factors.
Choosing a school also means choosing transportation services. Here are some instructions on how to make sure the transportation services will meet the needs of your family:
- Verify the type of transportation you are eligible for by searching for your address in Magnet and Application schools, to see the list of magnet, early college, and calendar options and the level of transportation service.
- Some magnet schools may require parents to provide transportation either to school or to an express bus stop.
- Some magnet students who receive neighborhood busing can experience ride times longer than an hour.
Magnet, early college, or year-round application results are not eligible for appeal. If you are not satisfied with your school placement, you may submit a transfer request to be re-assigned to your base school during the "Request for Transfer Period". Acceptance is guaranteed if the request is made within the Request for Transfer window unless the base school has an enrollment cap.
You will remain in the applicant pool for your first choice magnet, early college, or year-round school even if you request to go back to your base school.
Students who do not receive a seat at their first-choice magnet, early college, or year-round school will be placed in an applicant pool for that school. If you applied to more than one school, you may be assigned to one of your other choices and remain in the applicant pool for your first choice magnet, early college, or year-round school. Applicant pools will be reviewed in the spring. You will be notified via your online account if you receive a seat in your first-choice school.