Application Process for Magnet and/or Year-Round Schools
The application period for Magnet and Year-Round schools is open now through Feb. 6.
Applications are NOT first-come, first-served. Families are notified via emal if they receive a seat at an application school.
Who is eligible to apply
- Only students enrolled in a Wake County Public School System school for the 2022-23 school year.
- Students who do not currently attend a WCPSS school – currently attending a charter, private or homeschool – will need to enroll online and get a student ID number prior to submitting an application.
How we prioritize your student's application to multiple schools
- Families can apply to more than one school, including applying to multiple magnet and year-round choices. You should know that applications are prioritized based on the type of school. Learn how we prioritize multiple applications.
How we select students for magnet schools
- The purpose of the magnet schools program is to reduce high concentrations of poverty in schools; promote diverse, integrated school populations; maximize use of school facilities and provide innovative educational opportunities. To that end, we consider two key factors in considering magnet applications:
- Socioeconomic status of the area where the applying student resides
- Projected overall socioeconomic status of the school to which that student is assigned for next year.
- Learn how we select students for magnet schools based on these factors.
- Choosing a school also means choosing transportation services. Make sure both fit the needs of your family.
- Verify the type of transportation you are eligible for by searching for your address in the Base School Locator. Click on "View Application Schools" to see the list of magnet, early college and calendar options and the level of transportation service.
- Some magnet schools may require parents to provide transportation either to school or to an express bus stop. Some magnet students who receive neighborhood busing can experience ride times longer than a hour.
Results and Options
- Magnet, early college, or year-round application results are not eligible for appeal.
- If you are not satisfied with your magnet, early college or year-round school placement, you may submt a transfer request ,to be assigned to your base school during the Request for Transfer Period at the end of February 2022. "Back to base" requests submitted during this transfer period are guaranteed to be approved.
- You will remain in the applicant pool for your first choice magnet, early college, or year-round school even if you request back to your base school.
- Students who do not receive a seat at their first-choice magnet, early college, or year-round school will be placed in an applicant pool for that school. If you applied to more than one school, you may be assigned to one of your other choices and remain in the applicant pool for your first choice magnet, early college, or year-round school.
- Applicant pools will be reviewed in the spring. You will be notified in your online account if you receive a seat in your first-choice school.