• Foreign Exchange Students

    For inbound students (from countries other than the United States)

    International students residing in other countries who wish to attend a Wake County Public School must be sponsored by an approved foreign student exchange organization in “Full Listing” with the Council on Standards for International Travel (CSIET). In accordance with WCPSS Board Policy 4100-R&P, the following conditions must be met in order for placement to be approved:

    • The student must be at least 16 years of age upon enrollment in the district and no older than 19.
    • The sponsoring foreign exchange organization must have a local area representative currently living in Wake County.
    • The host family of the international student must also live in Wake County.
    • The student must present an acceptable score on an English proficiency test.

    For outbound students (WCPSS students requesting to study abroad)

    For a student to take courses abroad and receive high school credit in Wake County, careful planning based on outlined procedures is required. Credit may be given for those courses that have substantial equivalency to a Wake County high school course in content and hours as documented by a syllabus from the school.

    Grades earned in courses taken abroad are not included in the calculation of the student’s grade point average.