Wake County Indian Education Program
The Wake County Indian Education Program (WCIEP) is a federally funded Title VI grant open to any kindergarten through high school student enrolled in the Wake County Public School System (not charter or private) who is affiliated with any federally recognized or state-recognized Indian tribe.
Some programs/events sponsored by the WCIEP include tutoring, cultural programming, ACT/SAT prep workshops, ACT/SAT guides and social activities.
The WCIEP grant funding is directly related to the number of students with completed 506 forms on file. Completion of the 506 form is required for students to be eligible for the program and to receive the services outlined in the grant.
- A member (as defined by the Indian tribe or band) of a federally recognized Indian tribe or band, including those Indian tribes or bands terminated since 1940, and those recognized by the State in which the tribe or band reside; or
- A descendant in the first or second degree (parent or grandparent) as described above; or
- Considered by the Secretary of the Interior to be an Indian for any purpose; or
- An Eskimo, Aleut or other Alaska native; or
- A member of an organized Indian group that received a grant under the Indian Education Act of 1988.
Proof of tribal membership is required on the application form. Any one of the following is acceptable:
- an enrollment/membership number for the student or any of the above-mentioned family members
- a certified letter from the tribe confirming membership for student or stated family members
- letter of CDIB – Certified Degree of Indian Blood, or any other official document stating proof of tribal membership – such as a certified copy of a birth certificate identifying the race as American Indian/Native American for the student or family members stated.
Services available for enrolled participants
- Summer camps
- ACT/SAT Workshops
- Cultural Programming/Crafts
- Healthy eating and Gardening Education
When you complete your form, here are your options for turning it in:
- Scan your completed form and email it to Gwen Locklear at email@example.com
- Call Gwen Locklear at 919-779-5936 and set up a time to turn in your form in person.
- Mail your completed form to 5625 Dillard Dr., Cary, NC, 27518, with attention to Laura Abernethy, Family Engagement Coordinator.
- Rather than returning the form to your child’s school, please reach out to Gwen Locklear for assistance.