In case of snow or other potentially hazardous weather or emergency situations, we may close or delay school. We make the decision after consulting the National Weather Service, local weather forecasters, and area law enforcement. Additionally, our staff drives the bus routes to check firsthand on local conditions.
Schools will be open on their regular schedule unless otherwise announced. As soon as the decision is made, we will:
- notify local radio and television stations
- update our website's front page
- notify our schools, which will typically update their own websites and main phone lines
If the weather is bad enough to make a decision the day or night before, we will do so in time for the 11 p.m. newscasts. Otherwise, a decision will be made at 4:45 a.m.
Please don't call radio and TV stations.
They need their telephone lines left open to receive information from schools and businesses about schedule changes.
In case of a closing or delay
- If school is delayed one hour or more: Breakfast may be served at the principal's discretion.
- If school is canceled: The before-school program will not operate. The program will operate on the make-up days.
- If school is delayed: The before-school program will be delayed by the same amount of time as the opening of school. For example, if school is delayed one hour, the before-school program will open an hour late as well.
- If school is canceled: The after-school program will not operate. The program will operate on the make-up days.
- If school closes early: The after-school program will not operate. Parents are to pick up their children as soon as possible.
- If the Superintendent cancels all after-school activities: The after-school program will not operate. Parents are to pick up their children at the close of school.
Athletic and extracurricular events
- If school is closed or dismissed early: Athletic and extracurricular events will be canceled.
- WCPSS employees are expected to use their best judgment in deciding whether to come to work. They may take an annual leave day, take a non-paid day, or make up the day at a time agreeable with their supervisor.
Community Schools Evening Programs
- Community Schools evening programs operate on a different schedule. Any change will be announced separately.