Schools and summariesFor the 2014-15 school year, WCPSS has 104 elementary schools, 33 middle schools, 27 high schools and 4 alternative schools, 1 academy (K-8), and 2 leadership academies (6-12), for a total of 171 schools.
The 2013-14 membership was 153,300. The annual school campus capacity was 158,143 seats (including 1,119 temporary classrooms), resulting in an overall crowding of 96.9 percent.
Of the 170 schools operating in the 2013-14 school year:
- 48 schools operated on a year-round calendar (38 elementary schools and 10 middle schools). Please note that eight Y-R elementary schools and two middle schools switched to a single track calendar.
- 5 schools operated on a modified calendar (2 elementary schools, 2 middle schools and 1 high school)
- 4 schools operated on a calendar matching the community college calendar (Wake Early College of Health and Sciences High School, and NC State STEM Early College, Wake Young Women’s Leadership Academy, and Wake Young Men’s Leadership Academy).
- 113 schools operated on a traditional calendar (64 elementary schools, 21 middle schools, 23 high schools, 4 special/optional schools, and 1 academy (K-8).
Academically or Intellectually Gifted Program and Special Education ServicesAcademically or Intellectually Gifted Programs are offered in grades 4 through 12. As of April 1, 2013 (SY 2012-13), there were 26,889 students, or 26.5% enrolled in academically gifted programs.
Special ProgramsThe need for special services in LEP (Limited English Proficiency Program) has been decreasing (percentage-wise) for the last several years. Approximately 11,250 or 7.3% of students were classified as LEP. Students requiring ESL services are included in the overall LEP count. Also, WCPSS was serving 20,282 special education students, or 13.2 percent of the total student population.
In 2013-14, 51,309 of WCPSS students, or 33.3%, applied and qualified for Free or Reduced-Price Lunches.
- Free and Reduced 2013-14 By School
- Free and Reduced 2012 - 13 Notes
- Free and Reduced 2012 - 13 By School
Free and Reduced-Price Lunch Program (FRPL) (as of 12-02-13) Limited English Proficiency (LEP) (as of 11-15-13) English as a Second Language Special Education Services (as of 12-01-13) 51,309 11,250 Included in the LEP count 20,282 33.3% 7.3% -- 13.2% Free and Reduced-Price Lunch Program (FRPL) (as of 10-25-12) Limited English Proficiency (LEP) (as of 11-09-12) English as a Second Language (ESL) (as of 10-26-12) Special Education Services (as of 04-01-13) 50,432 11,143 5,326 20,353 33.70% 7.5% 3.6% 13.35% Free and Reduced-Price Lunch Program (FRPL) (as of 10-25-11) Limited English Proficiency (LEP) (as of 10-25-11) English as a Second Language (ESL) (as of 10-25-11) Special Education Services (as of 12-01-11) 48,881 11,040 5,913 19,587 33.3% 7.5% 4.0% 13.4%