The State of North Carolina requires that all public school educators hold a license for the subject or grade level they teach. Licensed employees must meet both state and federal licensing requirements in order to be employed. For more information visit www.ncpublicschools.org.
Alternative Licensure Information
Alternative Licensure is an "alternate" route to teaching for qualified individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree or higher outside of education. It allows qualified individuals to begin teaching in a classroom while obtaining a professional educator's license as they teach. The NC DPI authorizes alternative licensure professional educator licenses on a provisional basis in licensure areas that correspond to the individual's academic study. For more information about alternative licensure pathways in North Carolina, visit the N.C. Department of Public Instruction's Alternative Licensure website.
- Online Employment Application in Applitrack
- Provide a minimum of one supervisory reference on your application. References are automatically sent an electronic survey to complete on your behalf upon submission of the online application.
- Copies of all teaching licenses (Upload to your online applicant file)
- All college transcripts (Upload to your online applicant file)
- Effective July 24, 2019, NC teachers who are not employed by WCPSS are required to provide documentation of previous performance by uploading copies of their most recent summative evaluation from NCEES (NC Educator Evaluation System). This evaluation should be uploaded to the "Supplemental Materials" section of the online AppliTrack employment application and is required to make the application complete. Out-of-state, charter school, or private school applicants who do not have NCEES evaluations must upload their most recent year-end evaluation. New graduates should upload their final student teaching evaluation.
- Do not mail paper documents to Human Resources.
- One of North Carolina's highest paying school systems
- Tuition reimbursement
- Top-Ranked retirement system
- Salary advance for eligible employees
- Praxis II reimbursement
- Affordable health and dental for full-time employees
- Affordable life, vision and long-term care insurance
- National Board Teacher Certification loan program (ncpublicschool.org)
- National Board Certified Teacher pay differential (ncpublicschool.org)
- Mentor programs
- Beginning Teacher Support programs
- System-wide staff development opportunities