Online Safety at School
Access to Websites
WCPSS Technology Services Division uses a web filtering system as well as settings in specific digital resources to help keep our students safe while online. We use Cisco Umbrella, which allows us to filter the device regardless of where the device is located (school or home). Students and staff are filtered differently. The content filter blocks sites by categories that are updated regularly.
Although YouTube is available to students and staff, we use additional settings provided by Google to further filter videos.
- Strict restricted YouTube access (Elementary school students)
- Google definition: Generally aligns with content ratings for viewers 9+
- Moderate restricted YouTube access (Middle and High school students)
- Google definition: Generally aligns with content ratings for viewers 13+
- Can approve videos (Staff)
- Google definition: Users over 18 can approve videos. Users under 18 won’t have access to content marked 18+