School Board Redistricting Public Information Sessions
The WCPSS Board of Education is seeking public input on proposed new voting districts for board members. We will hold three information sessions in February, all starting at 6:30 p.m.:
- Feb. 22 - Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School, 2600 Rock Quarry Road, Raleigh
- Feb. 23 - Virtual Session
During the in-person sessions, maps will be available for review starting at 6:30 p.m., and there will be an opportunity for informal discussion with the redistricting consultants. A formal presentation will begin at 7:15 p.m., followed by Q-and-A.
The virtual session will begin at 6:30 p.m. with a presentation, then participants will be able to ask questions.
All participants will be invited to provide feedback online for board members to review.
A Spanish interpreter will be available at all sessions. Please contact 919-852-3303 to request interpretation services in a language other than Spanish.
The WCPSS Board of Education consists of nine members, each of whom represents their own district within the county. Population growth as determined by the 2020 Census requires that the boundaries for these districts be redrawn. Mapfigure Consulting has developed three proposed voting district maps for consideration.
Multiple criteria were considered in developing these maps, including:
- Population equality between districts
- Consideration of the Federal Voting Rights Act
- Using existing districts as a starting point and striving to preserve their cores
- Avoiding the pairing of incumbents in the same district
- Accounting for expected growth
- Keep voting precincts whole
Note that partisan election data were not considered.
The board is expected to vote on a final new map in March.