New Employee Orientation
New employees must complete New Employee Orientation which is a multi-step process. A portion of orientation involves watching a series of videos on your own time with the process ending with a brief in-person orientation session. As a new employee or rehire, Human Resources will communicate by telephone and email to prepare prospective employees for their new assignment. While processing a recommendation for employment, HR will send an email to prospective employees that will include many pieces of important information in preparation for an upcoming in-person orientation.In the event that schools are closed or delayed due to inclement weather, New Employee Orientation, may be delayed or canceled. Human Resources will communicate with you any changes using the email address in your online application. Check your email often for any changes or updates.
Directions to Orientation
Forms to complete before Orientation
Before attending Orientation, please review the material below. Please download, print, and complete the forms prior to attending Orientation.
- Health Form: A completed health form signed by a physician is required for employment. Return this completed form during your on site orientation.
- Retirement Form: Complete sections A, C, and D. You may leave blank the box entitled "Membership ID" in section A - Print and bring with you to Orientation.
- I-9 Form: The I-9 Form is used to verify an employee's identity and to establish that the worker is eligible to accept employment in the United States. Please complete page 1-section 1. Human Resources will be complete page 2 however, employees must present certain documents to establish their identity. The most commonly used documents are either a valid passport, or a combination of a valid driver's license and a Social Security Card. Other documents are also acceptable and a list can be found on page 3 of the I-9 form. Print pages 1-2 and bring with you to orientation.
- Longevity Form: Longevity (total state service) is the total of full-time or part-time (20 hours or more) permanent employment with a creditable NC state agency. The Longevity benefit is to recognize long-term service. Eligible employees with at least 10 years of NC state longevity service shall receive a lump sum payment annually. Longevity also determines the rate that you earn annual leave. State service and leave balances are transferred to WCPSS with the Transfer of State Service and Leave Balances form. Complete Sections 1 and 2. If you have Longevity years of service from a previous employer, have the previous employer complete Section 3 and bring the completed form to Orientation. If you need to return the completed form after orientation the form should be sent to Tonya Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org as an email attachment.
Information about licensure
- New WCPSS certified employees: direct licensing questions to the HR administrator assigned to your school
- Applicants: Please direct licensure questions to the NC Department of Public Instruction.
- Licensure Forms
The Benefits section provides employees with detailed information about benefits.
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Health Care Flexible Spending Account
- Flexible Benefits (Cancer, Disability, Critical Illness, Accident and Medical Bridge)
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Retirement
Instructions for dependent documentation, coverage changes and direct deposit:
Medical Insurance is through the NC State Health Plan. The effective date for Medical coverage is the 1st day of the 1st or 2nd month following your hire date (you choose). You have thirty days from your hire date to enroll in your Medical. For enrollment assistance call (855) 859-0966.
- Medical Enrollment (HRIntouch)
- Enrollment Video Tutorial
- NC State Health Plan website (Rates and plan summaries are found on this website.)
- Enrollment Help Desk (855) 859-0966
- NC State Health Plan Customer Service (888) 234-2416
Dental Insurance is through Ameritas. The effective date for Dental coverage is the 1st day of the 1st or 2nd month following your hire date (you choose). You have 30 days from your hire date to enroll in Dental coverage through HRIntouch.
Vision Insurance is through Superior. The effective date for Vision coverage is the 1st day of the 1st or 2nd month following your hire date (you choose). You have thirty days from your hire date to enroll in Vision through HRIntouch.
Dependent Care Flexible Spending AccountWith a Dependent Day Care Account, you can set aside pre-tax payroll deductions to reimburse the expenses associated with day care for your qualified dependents. You have thirty days from your hire date to enroll in the Dependent Care FSA through HRIntouch. The FSA is a "use it or lose it" account; any funds left in the account by 12/31 of that year are lost. You must re-enroll in the FSA every year. Plan is valid January to December regardless of Hire Date. Eligible dependents must be under 13 years of age.
With a Health Care Flexible Spending Account, you can set aside pre-tax payroll deductions to reimburse healthcare expenses that are not covered under your medical or other insurance plan.
You can only enroll in the Health FSA during open enrollment, which is mid-September to mid-November. Contact Ameriflex using information below for Dependent Care and Health Care FSA's.
Flexible Benefits include Cancer, Disability, Life, Critical Illness, Accident and Medical Bridge Indemnity benefits. You have thirty days from your hire date to enroll in your Flexible benefits. If you miss your thirty day deadline, you can enroll during Open Enrollment. Enrollment is by calling the Pierce Group at (919) 577-0700.
- Pierce Group flexible benefits website
- Pierce Group (919) 577-0700
Colonial Term or Universal Life Insurance is available by contacting the Pierce Group at (919) 577-0700. You have thirty days from your hire date to enroll.
MetLife Group Universal Life Insurance is available by contacting MetLife at (800) 523-2894. Employees may enroll after ninety days of employment. The enrollment period is available for thirty days.
VOYA 403B and 457
If you enroll dependents on your Medical, Dental or Vision insurance, you must provide the WCPSS Benefits Department with Dependent Documentation. Documents can be faxed to the Benefits Department at (919) 431-7517 or scanned/emailed to email@example.com. Write your name and the last 5 digits of your Social Security Number on each document; documents are not returned.
Open enrollment for medical occurs during October of each year. Open enrollment for all other benefits is mid-September through mid-November. During this time benefit plan changes may be made. These changes are effective on January 1. Coverage changes may also be done through HRIntouch with qualifying life events (QLE's). Such events are defined as birth, death, divorce, now eligible for other coverage, loss of other coverage, adoption, etc. Eligible employees can login to HRIntouch and make enrollment changes within thirty days of the QLE. QLE's require proof of the change to be sent to the Benefits Department within 30 days of the event. Please fax your documentation to (919) 431-7517 or scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Direct Deposit is required for all employees. Direct Deposit enrollment is through Employee Self-Service, which is only available on the WCPSS Intranet website. Therefore, you will have to wait until after your start date to enroll in Direct Deposit.