Face Covering Accommodation Request Process for Students
All students in WCPSS buildings are expected to wear cloth face coverings at all times, except when actively eating or drinking or during designated mask breaks. Requests for exceptions to this rule will be considered on a case-by-case basis for students with a medical condition or disability that renders mask-wearing harmful or medically inadvisable.
- Students who have previously received face covering accommodations during the 2020-2021 school year do not need to reapply. Accommodations/exemptions remain in effect for the 21-22 school year.
- Students receiving services in regional programs do not require an accommodation form and upon request from the parent or guardian are exempt from face covering requirements.
- Students for whom no accommodation exists, parents and guardians can request a face covering accommodation by completin this WCPSS form and having the student’s licensed healthcare provider complete relevant sections.
Accommodation Form Review and Process
- Please complete the WCPSS form and ensure that the student’s licensed healthcare provider completes the relevant sections.
- Submit a completed form to your principal.
- Upon review, the principal will make a decision
Requests for Face Covering Accommodations Based on Personal Beliefs or Other Non-Medical Concerns
At this time, WCPSS is unable to accommodate mask exemption requests that are not based on medical or health conditions or other specific exceptions listed in the NCDHHS Strong Schools Toolkit. The Strong Schools Toolkit contains a list of allowable reasons for not wearing a face covering, which includes medical or behavioral conditions or disabilities, age, and other safety-related reasons.