Welcome Class of 2031!
Kindergarten registration for 2018-19 opens Jan. 4, 2018.
Below is info for registering your kindergartner.
Pre-enroll your rising kindergartner at your assigned base school's main office.*A child must be 5 years old on or before August 31 of the current school year to attend kindergarten. In accordance with state law, gifted children who are age 4 by April 16 also will be considered for admission.
You have the following choices for your rising kindergartner:
- You can attend your base school: Your base school is the one near your home, where children in your neighborhood are assigned to attend. All base schools provide academics, arts, physical education and music under the direction of high-quality teachers.
- You can apply to attend your calendar option school: Traditional calendar schools run from August through the following June, with 10 weeks of summer vacation. Year-round schools are open throughout the year, with students in school for nine weeks and then off for three weeks.
- If your base school is on a traditional calendar, you will have the option to apply for an assigned nearby year-round school.
- If your base school is on a year-round calendar, you will have the option to apply for an assigned nearby traditional calendar school. Learn more.
You can learn more about one of our Magnet Schools: The magnet application period is Jan. 10-31, 2018. Magnet schools teach the same core subjects as our traditional schools, but present the information in a different way, based on the magnet school's themes. We offer 16 different themes in our 26 elementary magnet schools including Montessori, Engineering, World Languages, Leadership and Gifted & Talented. Each program offers a unique way of delivering the standard curriculum, giving parents the ability to customize their child’s learning experience and creating just the right fit for their child. Students are accepted into magnet programs based on prioritized selection criteria – not first come, first served. Pre-registration is required for rising kindergartners applying to a magnet program.
Please note: All kindergarten students must start by registering in the office of your base school. Locate your base school.
Tips for registering your child
- You must register at your base school.
- Call ahead to see if your base school has dedicated registration times.
- Complete your paperwork ahead of time.
- Children do not need to be present for registration. In fact, it is preferable to make arrangements to register without your children present as schools will be very busy.
How do I choose a school?
At Wake, families are offered many choices to suit an individual child’s needs. Here are some things to consider and do when deciding which school is a better fit for your family.
- The magnet application period is Jan. 10-31, 2018. Learn more about magnet schools.
- Attend your base school’s open house.
- Consider your calendar option choice and if interested, attend that school’s open house. Many families prefer year-round because it allows more free time throughout the year for family vacations. Other families prefer traditional calendar to have summers off or to align with other siblings.