WCPSS Driver Education
Welcome to the 2023-2024 Spring Semester
Please review this information for an overview of the driver education program and the registration process. Jordan Driving School (JDS) is the contracted provider for WCPSS. More information is available at www.jordandriving.com. Registration for spring 2024 will be on January 8, 10 & 16. Each school will have a different registration date; see the website for details.
Each high school location has a lead teacher (LT) who serves as the contact for that school to better serve a school’s population. The LT names and contact information are on the Jordan Driving School (JDS) website at Contact Lead Teachers and are organized by school name.
Please allow 48 hours for a reply; email contact is the preferred method when possible.
During the spring semester, a class session is offered monthly in February and May. We also offer 4-5 sessions at school sites during the summer. Other options, such as Saturday and spring break classes, will be made available on the website later in the semester.
- The classes are held in designated classrooms with DMV-licensed instructors who use a blended program of speakers, direct instruction, computer modules, and videos.
- The classroom session is 30 hours as mandated by NC and runs 10 days for 3 hours each after school dismisses. Driver education follows all WCPSS cancelations due to weather/other events.
- A DMV representative visits each classroom to do a vision check and to sign official paperwork.
- There are 35 students per class. The cost is $65, which must be paid once students are informed of their placement and prior to the start of class. Directions for payment will be shared by LT.
- If your student is eligible for a fee waiver, locate the link on the JDS website, fill out the form and return it to the LT when you submit your registration form. The fee waiver will be sent to the Child Nutrition Dept. to verify free/reduced lunch status. Then you will be notified by the LT.
- Students must be 14 ½ years old on the first day of the class session in which they enroll.
- Students involved in their athletic season, competitions, musicals, or other activities that do not allow for after school attendance should wait to enroll at a more convenient time.
- The Behind-the-Wheel (BTW) phase will take place by class session and age within the class, oldest to youngest.
The directions for registering are also on the website under Classroom Schedules and Online Payments.
- Classes will be listed for (a) Public School After School Classes and (b) Private, Charter & Select Other School Classes. Click the one for your type of school attendance, and then you will see a listing of schools by name.
- Click on the name of your school and read all the directions before you do anything else to clearly understand the process. Then, below the LT contact information, you will see how to register.
The LT is your primary point of contact for any questions or support you need with the driver education process at your school. The JDS administrative office is responsible for processing the paperwork, monitoring the sites, and supporting the classroom and BTW instructors.
We look forward to working with all of you during the 2023-24 school year!