Drivers Eligibility Certificate
The following process will allow students to receive a Drivers Eligibility Certificate (DEC). DEC's are only valid for 30 days. Therefore, students are only eligible to receive a DEC during this time if they have a confirmed appointment with the NCDMV within 30 days of the date of the request.
- Email Ms. Peterson at email@example.com, and include the email from NCDMV confirming the date/time of the appointment.
- You will receive an email confirming the date/time you can come to the high school to receive the DEC.
Once your appointment is confirmed with the high school, follow these next steps:
- Step 1: Scan or take a photo of the completed Drivers Education Certificate and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to scan or take a photo of the document, then you will need to bring it with you to the appointment.
- Step 2: Bring the following documents to the appointment:
- Student’s birth certificate or passport
- Completed Drivers Education Certificate (if it has not been emailed ahead of time)
- Proof of address if the current address is different than the one listed on the Driver’s Education Certificate or the address listed in PowerSchool (address must be verified for the NC Real ID)
- Step 3: Receiving the DEC
- Once you arrive for your appointment, staff will direct you to the location to receive the DEC.
Staff will check the student’s grades for adequate progress. The student must have passed 70% of the courses taken in the prior semester in order to receive a DEC. Once grades have been verified and all other documents are in place, the DEC can be issued to the student.