Pre-K Enrollment and Referral Process
Do you have a child who will be 4 years old by August 31st?
WCPSS offers a free, high quality pre-kindergarten program for 4-year-old children. They will experience a full day with their classmates learning skills appropriate for their age through exploration and discovery. The goal of our preschool program is to prepare children to enter kindergarten ready to learn and succeed.
Our preschool classrooms are located in WCPSS elementary schools and follow the same hours of the elementary school day. Transportation may be an option for children assigned to their base school. Families will have the opportunity to participate in school breakfast and lunch for their child.
How to Apply
You have until June 30 to apply for Title I Pre-K services.
To be eligible, your child must be 4-years-old on or before August 31. Students qualify for the program based on academic need, so children must participate in a brief development screening to determine eligibility. Screenings are offered each spring. Once your completed application is received, you will be notified of your child’s screening appointment.
You may submit an application and required documents online, mail it in, or drop it off.
- Apply Online
- English application (print and complete)
- Spanish Application/Solicitud en español (imprimir y completar)
Mailing or delivery address:
Wake County Smart Start
4901 Waters Edge Drive, Suite 101
Raleigh, NC 27606
Applications received after June 30, 2021 will only be considered for Telamon Head Start and NC Pre-K. Requests and referrals for special education services are accepted and evaluated year-round.
Tuition Based Classrooms
Tuition Based Classrooms are classrooms located in our schools that require families to pay for the services. Each location provides a description of the classrooms, directions for the application process, and a timeline for notification.
- Project Enlightenment - The Demonstration Preschool (DPS) is an inclusive half-day pre-K classroom, serving children with developmental or social-emotional concerns as well as typically developing children.
- Kingswood Montessori Magnet Elementary - Using the Montessori multi-age philosophy, pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students are together in the same primary classroom.
- Lacy Elementary - A half-day integrated preschool setting where children with and without hearing loss play and learn together. The class uses project approach teaching and inquiry learning, with student exploration encouraged.