Magnet, Early College, Year-Round and Application Schools
Round 2 Magnet Application Period
April 10-21, 2023
Wake County magnet schools create well-rounded students by challenging them with programs tailored to their strengths and exposing them to new experiences. Innovative and pioneering programs challenge students to think creatively and analytically to solve problems, while diverse student body populations enable students to learn and see things from a different perspective. Wake County magnet schools provide students with the tools they need to see things differently. View our magnet introduction video #SeeThingsDifferently!
We are proud of our award-winning magnet and early college schools:
- Over 365 Magnet Schools of America National Merit Awards given to WCPSS magnet and early college schools since 1996-97
- 10 Magnet Schools Assistance Program Grants for a total of close to $80 million
- 17 Top Ranking Magnet Schools of America National Awards given to WCPSS magnet and early college schools since 1999-2000
44 magnet schools win National Merit Awards, three named Top Schools of Excellence
Congratulations to 44 of our magnet schools that were honored by Magnet Schools of America (MSA) with National Merit Awards.
Cathy Moore named National Superintendent of the Year by Magnet Schools of America
Superintendent Moore has a long track record of supporting magnet schools.
45 magnet schools win National Merit Awards
Eight schools were named Schools of Excellence, and 38 were named Schools of Distinction.
- Reduce high concentrations of poverty, and
- Promote school integration and
- Maximize use of school facilities, and
- Provide innovative and/or expanded educational opportunities