A child must be 5 years old on or before August 31 of the current school year to attend kindergarten. In accordance with state law, gifted children who are age 4 by April 16 also will be considered for admission.
You have the following choices for your rising kindergartner:
You can attend your base school.
Your base school is the school where you are assigned and where you will pre-register for the upcoming school year. All base schools provide academics, arts, physical education and music under the direction of high-quality teachers. If your base school has an enrollment cap, you will still register there and discuss options with a school representative.
Or, you can apply to attend a Magnet or Year-Round School.
The Magnet and Year-Round application period for the 2021-22 school year is now closed. Pre-registration is required for rising kindergartners applying to a magnet program.
Magnet schools teach the same core subjects as our traditional schools, but present the information in a different way, based on the magnet school's themes. We offer 19 different themes. These themes are offered at 28 elementary magnet schools. Each program offers a unique way of delivering the standard curriculum, giving parents the ability to customize their child’s learning experience and creating just the right fit for their child.
For the 2021-22 school year only:
- Students who are age-appropriate for kindergarten but who are currently being homeschooled in kindergarten may enroll in first grade at the request of the parent without requesting whole grade advancement. The principal and family may make adjustments to grade placement as needed, based on data and observations.
- Students who are age-appropriate for kindergarten but who are not currently participating in a kindergarten experience will still enroll in kindergarten as their point of entry for 2021-22. Parents/guardians wishing to enroll their student directly into first grade will need to request whole grade advancement.
How do I choose a school?
At Wake, families are offered many choices to suit an individual child’s needs.Here are some things to consider and do when deciding which school is a better fit for your family.
- The magnet and year-round application period for the 2021-22 school year is closed. Learn more about magnet schools.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we ask that you visit your school's website for a "virtual" school tour and more information.
- Consider your calendar option choice and if interested, visit your school's website for virtual tour information. Many families prefer year-round because it allows more free time throughout the year for family vacations. Other families prefer traditional calendar to have summers off or to align with other siblings.