Student and Parent Codes of Athletic Conduct
Student Code of Conduct
All students will adhere to the WCPSS Code of Student Conduct. All students will sign the athletic participation form acknowledging acceptance of the Student-Athlete Pledge. Also, many middle and high school athletic programs have a code of conduct in order to participate in athletics.
Student-Athlete Pledge: As a student-athlete, I am a role model. I understand the spirit of fair play while playing hard. I will refrain from engaging in all types of disrespectful behavior, including inappropriate language, taunting, trash talking, and unnecessary physical contact. I know the behavior expectations of my school and my conference, and hereby accept the responsibility and privilege of representing this school and community as a student-athlete.
Student Conduct Guidelines
- Be respectful by using appropriate language
- Treat everyone fairly
- Treat everyone with dignity and respect
- Avoid tobacco products or alcoholic beverages
- Avoid the use of performance-enhancing or mind-altering recreational drugs
- Arrive on time for all practices, meetings, and contests
- Play by the rules, demonstrating and encouraging good sportsmanship
- Respect the dignity of others by not sexually harassing or molesting them
- Protect the integrity of the game by not gambling on the sport or having any involvement with those who do
- Represent your school and self in a manner that reflects self-control
- Comply will all school and team rules and policies
- Report any injury or aggravating condition to an athletic trainer
From Successful Coaching, Third Edition, by Rainer Martens, 2004, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics
Note: Disciplinary actions for violation of WCPSS Code of Student Conduct are named in Board Policy 6500. Consequences for violation of student athlete pledge and conduct guidelines can result in suspension from team based on NCHSAA guidelines for high schools, State Board of Education guidelines for middle schools, and/or school athletic departments.
Parent Code of Conduct
Parents will sign the athletic participation form acknowledging acceptance of the Parent Pledge.
Parent Pledge: As a parent, I acknowledge that I am a role model. I will remember that school athletics is an extension of the classroom, offering learning experiences for the students. I must show respect for all players, coaches, spectators, and support groups. I will participate in cheers that support, encourage, and uplift the teams involved. I understand the spirit of fair play and the good sportsmanship expected by our school, and our conference. I hereby accept my responsibility to be a model of good sportsmanship that comes with being the parent of a student athlete.
Parent Conduct Guidelines
- Let the coaches do the coaching for all team members
- Support the program
- Be your child's best fan
- Encourage your child to talk with the coaches
- Understand and display appropriate game behavior
- Help your child keeping his or her priorities straight
- Keep sport in its proper perspective
From National Association for Sport and Physical Education, December 2003