We need you. They need you. Become a substitute teacher.
Our district is hiring substitute teachers!
Substitute teacher applicants will undergo a background check. Once approved, you will attend a half-day orientation.
Substitute applicants who do not hold a NC teaching license also must complete the Substitute Effective Teacher Training (SETT) or Effective Teacher Training (ETT) courses outlined below.
Questions? Email our Substitute Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are ready to begin the application process, follow the instructions outlined under Application Process.
We hope to hear from you soon!
Minimum Requirements & Salary
- Certified Substitute - $135 per day – Must upload a copy of your NC teaching license or license from another state, current or expired.
- Non-Certified Substitute - $120 per day – Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED equivalent and completion of Substitute Effective Teacher Training (SETT) or Effective Teacher Training (ETT).
- The SETT/ETT course is typically offered at local community colleges, OR;
- You may complete the online course "Substitute Effective Teacher Training" via the App-Garden University. This online course is $29.
- Upon completion of the SETT/ETT, please upload your certificate of completion to your online application.
- WCPSS will accept App-Garden certificates of completion from other N.C. school systems.
- App-Garden Technical Support - Please contact 1-800-425-0720 or click "Need Help" on the App-Garden online course page.
Please note we cannot accept the App-Garden certificate of completion if the course was not purchased using the above link or through another NC school system.
- Student Teachers - In lieu of the SETT/ETT, you may upload an unofficial transcript that includes the college/university name, successful completion of student teaching, and a reference from your cooperating teacher. You may also submit a letter from your university stating that your student teaching has been completed.
Please complete the Employment Application.
- Select the position posted for Substitute Teacher.
- Provide a minimum of one recent supervisory reference on both the application and when prompted to begin the reference survey process. (References from co-workers, friends, neighbors, and family members are not considered supervisory references.)
- Applications are reviewed, confidential reference checks are performed, and a criminal background check is conducted on qualified applicants.
- If you already have an application on file and would now like to apply to be a substitute, log in to your existing application and add the position of Substitute Teacher from the list of postings.
Application Process for Former Employees
All substitute teacher applicants must meet current eligibility requirements to be approved as a substitute teacher.
- If you have been separated from employment with WCPSS for more than one year, follow the application process for new substitute teachers.
- If you have been separated from employment with WCPSS for less than one year, complete the Substitute Reactivation Form.