We need you. They need you. Become a substitute teacher.
The COVID-19 pandemic has presented numerous challenges for our school district. While we appreciate all volunteers who are willing to serve in our schools and support our students, we currently have a critical need for substitute teachers.
Substitute teacher applicants will undergo a background check. Once approved, you will attend a half-day orientation and will complete online training in our district’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols as well as two online courses in delivering instruction in a blended learning environment.
Substitute applicants who do not hold a NC teaching license also must complete the Substitute Effective Teacher Training (SETT) or Effective Teacher Training (ETT) courses outlined below.
If you are able to provide assistance to our schools in this role and you meet the requirements outlined below, please complete this interest form.
Questions? Email our Substitute Office at email@example.com .
If you are ready to begin the application process, follow the instructions outlined under Application Process.
We hope to hear from you soon!
Minimum Requirements & Salary
- Certified Substitute - $103 per day – Must upload a copy of your NC teaching license or license from another state, current or expired.
- Non-Certified Substitute - $80 per day – Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED equivalent and completion of Substitute Effective Teacher Training (SETT) or Effective Teacher Training (ETT).
- The SETT/ETT course is typically offered at local community colleges, OR;
- You may complete the online course "Substitute Effective Teacher Training" via the App-Garden University. This online course is $29.
- Upon completion of the SETT/ETT, please upload your certificate of completion to your online application.
- WCPSS will accept App-Garden certificates of completion from other N.C. school systems.
- App-Garden Technical Support - Please contact 1-800-425-0720 or click "Need Help" on the App-Garden online course page.
Please note we cannot accept the App-Garden certificate of completion if the course was not purchased using the above link or through another NC school system.
- Student Teachers - In lieu of the SETT/ETT, you may upload an unofficial transcript that includes the college/university name, successful completion of student teaching, and a reference from your cooperating teacher. You may also submit a letter from your university stating that your student teaching has been completed.
Temporary Substitute Incentive Pay
Temporary Substitute Incentive pay is available for those subs who are picking up jobs consistently from Jan. 6 through the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Substitutes who work at least 5 full days in a calendar month will receive $100 of additional pay each month;
- Substitutes who work at least 10 full days in a calendar month will receive $250 of additional pay each month; and
- Substitutes who work at least 14 full days in a calendar month will receive $425 each month.
Instructional Assistants who serve as substitutes when teachers are out will also be eligible for the incentive pay.
Please complete the Employment Application.
- In the "Position Desired" section of the application, place a checkmark by Substitute Teacher.
- Provide a minimum of one recent supervisory reference. (References from co-workers, friends, neighbors, and family members are not acceptable.)
- Applications are reviewed, confidential reference checks are performed, and a criminal background check is conducted on qualified applicants.
- If you aleady have an application on file and would now like to apply to be a substitute, log in to your existing application in Applitrak and go to the section for "Position Desired." Place a checkmark in the box for Substitute Teacher. Select “Finish” and “Submit” to resubmit your application.
Application Process for Former Employees
All substitute teacher applicants must meet current eligibility requirements to be approved as a substitute teacher.
- If you have been separated from employment with WCPSS for more than one year, follow the application process for new substitute teachers.
- If you have been separated from employment with WCPSS for less than one year, complete the Substitute Reactivation Form.