Future Teachers Program
The Future Teachers Program is a recruitment initiative aimed at developing the district’s internal student talent. Future Teachers participants are WCPSS high school graduates who intend to pursue careers in education and who commit to teaching with us upon completion of their teacher preparation programs. Future Teachers is not a scholarship.
Who is eligible to apply?
WCPSS graduating high school seniors who have (or will) gain admittance to a college or university for the fall semester, and who intend to pursue K-12 teaching careers with WCPSS. Although the 10 licensure areas below are considered high needs areas, students in all licensure areas are encouraged to apply.
- Career and Technical Education
- Elementary Education
- English/Language Arts
- English Second Language
- Social Studies
- Special Education
- World Languages
The Future Teachers Program is also open to college freshmen and sophomores who are currently enrolled in an education preparation program at one of the following schools: Meredith College, North Carolina Central University, North Carolina State University, Saint Augustine’s University, Shaw University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Wake Technical Community College or William Peace University.
What do Future Teachers participants receive?
- Annual summer professional development stipends, beginning the summer following the freshman year of college
- A WCPSS job offer for a teaching position for which they are licensed and highly qualified
- The opportunity to develop a professional network with WCPSS staff and peers
What is expected of Future Teachers participants?
- Maintain status as a student in good standing with their selected universities
- Participate in annual required summer professional development, beginning the summer following the freshman year of college
- Participate in networking with members of their FT cohort and WCPSS staff
- Teach with WCPSS for at least three years following the completion of their teacher preparation programs
- Meet all WCPSS licensure and application requirements