Students are expected to adhere to standards of dress and appearance that are compatible with an effective learning environment. Presenting a bodily appearance or wearing clothing which is disruptive, provocative, revealing, profane, vulgar, offensive or obscene, or which endangers the health and safety of the student or others is prohibited (Board Policy 6410.1). NGMS guidelines include, but are not limited to, the following for boys and girls:
- No excessively tight clothing is allowed.
- All undergarments must be completely covered and not visible thru clothes.
- No midriff tops. Bottom hem of tops must cover the top of the pants/skirt.
- All pants must be worn above the hips at all times. No pants should have any exposed skin showing. No pajama pants are allowed.
- The bottom hem of all dresses, skirts, splits in dresses or skirts, and shorts must reach below the student’s middle finger when arms are held relaxed, straight down at sides. Leggings are appropriate only under the correct length skirt or shorts. Students must change from gym clothes after gym class, even after 7th period.
- No spaghetti straps, one-strap shirts, strapless shirts, tank tops, halter-tops, or transparent blouses allowed. These items cannot be visible under other shirts/jackets. Shirts/tops will not expose cleavage. Shoulders must be covered at all times.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. No bedroom slippers will be worn at school. No gloves may be worn during the day.
- The display of inappropriate language, symbols, or content is prohibited. Items that advertise or display gang related items such as, tobacco/cigarettes, alcohol, other illegal substances, or suggest drug/illegal activities shall not be worn.
- No Mardi Gras type beads, dog collars, sunglasses, pacifiers, blinking necklaces, chains on belts/wallets, bandanas or headgear (hats, caps, do-rags, etc.) will be worn on school property. Any adornment that might be perceived as a weapon is not allowed. Jewelry in the shape of weapons is not allowed. These items will be confiscated, if visible. Emblems commonly associated with gangs are not allowed on clothing.
- No coats (extending past the top of the thigh – where the leg bends) will be worn during the school day. These coats are to be placed in the locker upon arrival at school each day and left there until leaving school for the day. Hoodies can be worn in classes.
- Belts must be worn in the belt loops.
- Pants are not to be tucked into socks. Pants legs cannot be rolled up.
- No pants or shorts should have slits above the knee where exposed skin is visible
- All clothing worn during physical education class must also meet all requirements of the school dress code.
- Other items which may disrupt the educational environment are not allowed (administrative decision). Students will have the opportunity to correct the violation. If students cannot correct the violation then student will be allowed to call home to request a change of clothes. If a change of clothes is not possible, student will be placed in ISS. Repeated violations may result in further disciplinary consequences.