Principal's Message, 4-9-21
Greetings Stough Families,
I hope that all had an enjoyable Spring Break! Whether online or in-person, it was great to see our students back for the start of the fourth quarter. Report cards for third quarter are being sent today. We look forward to a great final nine weeks of the school year!
1. Next week is a four-day week of live learning. Wednesday, 4/14 is an asynchronous day.
2. Our 3rd, 4th and 5th graders will be taking a math NC Check-in next week. VA learners are welcome to the building to take this assessment on Wednesday morning, 4/14. If you haven't signed up yet, please do so here. Our in-person learners will take the NC Check-ins on Thursday, 4/15. If you have questions, you can contact Shelly Cox at email@example.com.
3. All our VA learners will have the opportunity to pick-up fourth quarter materials this week. Most of this will take place on the asynchronous day (Wednesday). Please look for specific information from your child's teacher.
4. Earlier this week, the District released a statement about a Virtual Academy option for families for next school year, 2021-22. (There was a more detailed message sent this afternoon.) A survey about your preferences will be deployed later this month. I want to be up-front with you now before this survey is released - I will be working with the Magnet Office on the possibility of not hosting a virtual option at Stough for next year. Nothing is final, but we believe our learners need to be face to face to capitalize on all that Immersion and Global Learning can be. Plus, the concurrent teaching demands (teaching online and face-to-face at the same time) on our teachers this year is a challenge that I would like to eliminate. I will be speaking more in-depth about this in a virtual parent meeting to be held later this month. Stay tuned for details.
5. Some of you were surprised that we are no longer conducting health screenings at arrivals. This was communicated in this District Update earlier in the week. If you have additional questions, feel free to reach out to me.
6. This is a reminder for families of bus riders. You can track your student's bus on the "Here Comes the Bus" app (here are the details). We also tweet the route departure times each afternoon - follow us at @Stoughbuses
7. These past two days in P2, we focused on the importance of identifying and appreciating the good in others. Next week, we'll begin learning about fairness. For a 1-page character card overview, click here. And, for P2 for Families (password: P2), click here.
Fairness means you believe that all people have value. You approach situations with an unbiased mindset and treat everyone with respect. Fairness combines both the head and the heart. It is the product of moral judgment – the process by which people determine what is morally right and what is morally wrong.
8. Here are your PTA Updates:
Spring Book Fair- online!
Check out Scholastic's new virtual book fair feature. Shop online NOW until April 22nd. Take advantage of free standard shipping on book-only orders over $25. All orders ship wherever you choose, which is great for gifting! Stough will receive 25% back in Scholastic Dollars, which helps fill the shelves of our new library! Be sure to initially access the Scholastic Store through our school's Book Fair Homepage to ensure Stough gets credit for your purchases.
Mellow Mushroom Fundraiser: April 15
Order dinner from Mellow Mushroom from 3:00-9:00pm on April 15 and Stough PTA will receive 10% of your purchase.
Spring AuctionIf you own or work for a business that might be interested in making a donation to our spring auction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great weekend!
Chris Cox, Principal