• Stough has the only Mandarin Language Immersion program in WCPSS.
• Mandarin Chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world.
• Mandarin is the fastest growing world language being taught in US schools.
• Students learn another culture and another way of looking at the world.
How is the curriculum different from that in other classrooms?
Core instruction is provided by qualified teachers fluent in Mandarin Chinese. All Mandarin Immersion Language students are taught using the Common Core State Standards, NC Essential Standards as well as a carefully crafted Immersion Curriculum. These curricula prepare our students to achieve on NC and district-developed assessments as well as Chinese Language speaking, listening, and writing assessments.
How do students benefit from participation in a Mandarin Language Immersion Program?
Through participation in the Mandarin Language Immersion Program, students will:
• become proficient in English and Mandarin
• excel academically
• increase academic performance
• gain exposure of the Chinese culture and language
• prepare to meet the challenges of a globally-dependent society
What about English Language Arts?
In kindergarten, first and second grades, the majority of the school day is taught in Mandarin. Students receive one block of English Literacy each day.In third, fourth and fifth grades, students receive half of the daily instruction in English and half in Mandarin.Specials (Art, Music, PE, Media, and Friday Electives) are also taught in English. In addition, parents are encouraged to help students practice reading in English at home.
What is the Mandarin Language Immersion Program?Stough offers a Mandarin Language Immersion Magnet program for students who will be entering Kindergarten. These students will then have the opportunity to automatically continue within the program through 5th grade. Core instruction is provided by teachers fluent in Mandarin Chinese. As a result, Immersion students develop language proficiency in Mandarin and English. The ultimate goal is to become bilingual, bi-literate, and bicultural.
Is this program right for my child?
- Do you value bilingualism and biliteracy?
- Does your child need academic challenges?
- Do you want your child to have an edge in tomorrow's market economy?
- Are you willing to make a long-term commitment to the Chinese Language Immersion Program?