Principal's Message, 5-13-22
Greetings Stough Families,
Here are your weekly updates:
1. Next week is a five-day week for students.
2. We were notified by the project manager of the Glenlake construction project (neighboring property to the school) that we can expect lane closures on Edwards Mill Road in front of the school all next week (May 16-20). They will be connecting water lines under Edwards Mill Road. Please plan for the potential for transportation delays as you drop-off and pick-up students at Stough each day next week.
3. Here's the reminder about EOG re-testing for 3rd, 4th and 5th grade families:
Wake County is committed to providing all students with an excellent education. At the end of the school year, your child will participate in the regular administration of North Carolina End-of-Grade (EOG) tests. Students who score Level 3 or higher on these assessments are considered proficient. Students who do not score a Level 3 or higher on the regular administration and have passed the course/ subject have the option to participate in a Remediation and Readministration opportunity in the summer (June 14, 15). The summer program will be held here at Stough. Transportation will be provided, and breakfast and lunch will be available.
At this time, we are providing you with information about this opportunity and asking whether you want your student to opt-in. Here is the Google Form for you to indicate your preference. After students complete their EOGs, we will determine which children are eligible, and those families will receive an invitation for the summer program. Completing the form will help us determine how many students might be interested in the summer program should they qualify. Thanks!
4. Here's a quick reminder of a few upcoming dates for your calendars:
- Stough Art & Music Night (all students), May 25 (rain date, May 26), 5:30-7:30pm
- EOGs for 3rd, 4th and 5th Grades, June 1-3; Re-testing June 14, 15 (for those that opt-in)
- Fifth Grade Celebration, June 10
- Last day for students, June 10
5. Here is the flyer with the basic details for Stough's Art & Music Night 2022. We hope to see everyone there!
6. Here are your PTA Updates:
Spring Auction is Live!
The Spring Auction is full of fun items! We have a variety of vacation spots, pottery and paintings, local gift cards, camps and birthday parties for the kids and sports memorabilia. There are several unique experiences available- spa visit, a rage room, golf lessons and a virtual book club with a best-selling author! Click to browse items and start bidding! https://www.32auctions.com/stoughpta22
General PTA Meeting
Thanks to all who attended our virtual meeting on Thursday night. The following board members were approved for the upcoming school year.
2022-2023 PTA Board Members
President- Stephanie Austin
Vice President- Jenny Watson
Secretary- Sarah Paro
Treasurer- Diana Brown
Upcoming Stough Socials- June 2 and 10
PTA invites you to join Stough friends at Laurel Hills Playground on June 2 and June 10. On June 2 we are teaming up with Bronco Tacos for a spirit night from 5:00-7:00. This is a new restaurant at 3434 Edwards Mill Road.
Stop by the Laurel Hills playground on June 10 from 4:00-6:00 for popsicles and play time!
Supporting Stough while Shopping
Just a reminder there are several ways to give back to the PTA while shopping with Harris Teeter, Amazon and more. Directions on how to link your accounts can be found here: Fundraising - STOUGH MAGNET ELEMENTARY PTA (weebly.com)
Staff Lounge Registry
Thank you for helping us stock up on snacks and drinks!
Vision Martial Arts FundraiserThis is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to try Martial Arts! Vision is offering 6 weeks of classes (in person or online) for only $69. This includes a practice uniform! Vision will give Stough PTA $65 from each enrollment. Please use this form to sign up: Vision Martial Arts Training for Stough PTA (wufoo.com)
Have a great weekend,
Chris Cox, Principal