Participate Passport Program (formerly VIF)
Helen Y. Stough Magnet Elementary is a Passport School, a comprehensive, global-learning community where all grade levels participate in the Participate global professional development program. In a Passport school, all teachers at every grade level in the school take part in and benefit from global professional development.
- Passport allows teachers and students to develop the attitudes, skills, and knowledge necessary for global competence.
- Teachers will understand and explore cultural perspectives of colleagues, students and communities around the globe. Students will explore their own culture and make comparisons with other cultures.
- Teachers will connect with teachers and students in schools within and outside the United States.
- Students will collaborate with partners within and outside of the United States.
- Teachers will integrate globally infused content into the classroom.
- Students will develop awareness of world regions and cultures.
- When all teachers in the Passport school are experiencing professional development, teachers benefit from a vertical alignment of curriculum and learning outcomes, and the school-wide planning that results. All the while, teachers maintain their world region focus at each grade level so that at the end of fifth grade, students will have investigated each populated region of the world.
- In a Passport school, children have the opportunity to engage with each region of the world. This regional approach provides students who matriculate from kindergarten to fifth grade with a comprehensive global education that promotes achievement in both cultural competencies and global knowledge.
- With Passport, students journey to global citizenship from the time they enter kindergarten through the end of fifth grade. At each grade level, teachers build global experiences organized around their regional focus and students maintain a global Passport that they take from grade to grade. Their student learning portfolio becomes a tangible achievement that they carry from fifth grade graduation into middle school and beyond.
How do students develop a well-rounded global experience?The vision of Stough Chinese Language Immersion Magnet Elementary is that the community works together and provides excellent opportunities for all students through:Learning objectives
- develop attitudes, skills, and knowledge necessary for global competence
- explore cultural perspectives of the communitites around the world
- explore their now culture and make comparisions with other cultures
- connect with other learners in schools across the world
- teachers will integrate globally infused content into the classroom
- students will develop awareness of world regions and cultures
- engage with other regions of the world
- promote achievement in both cultural competencies and global knowledge