Principal Message (2/21/21)
Updates: Return to In-Person Instruction
After 11 months, we were thrilled to welcome Cohort 2 back to school last week. Even though the school looked and felt different, it was great to hear and see students in the halls and classrooms. We are so proud of our teachers for their continuous ability to adjust to yet another platform of teaching (virtual and in-person). Kudos to the students and parents for giving us a chance! We hope your kids felt safe at school. We believe cohort rotations are the first step for returning back to full-time in-person instruction.
This week, Cohort 3 returns!
As you prepare for Monday, please take a few minutes to
- watch this “Return to Campus” video from our Student Ambassadors
- review the School Reopening information HERE on our school website
Asynchronous Day for 2/23/21
On February 23, GLHS will have an asynchronous day to be able to administer the ACT to all Juniors. While Juniors are coming on campus to take the ACT, Freshmen and Sophomores will attend a required WCPSS “Coping Lesson." Additional information will follow in the voicemail next week; but, below is a basic description:
Coping Lesson (9th and 10th Grade):
WCPSS and Student Services will be presenting "Keeping Yourself Emotionally and Physically Safe" coping lesson to all 9th and 10th graders on Tuesday, February 23rd. This program is mandatory and will include guidance on coping strategies, problem-solving skills, and resources for support. It will be presented virtually during the asynchronous day while all 11th graders are taking the ACT on campus. All teachers will post the links to the Meet conferences on their classroom websites. This program will be used for virtual attendance on an asynchronous day.
- 9th graders will be in three sessions by last names at 9:30 am
- 10th graders will be in three sessions by last names at 10:30 am
- Students: Look at your teacher's websites at their grade level time for the Meet code
- A parent/guardian information letter from WCPSS regarding this program and a link to the Parent PowerPoint is HERE!
ACT Information (11th Grade):
All juniors are required to take the ACT in-person at Green Level High School. Below is some important information:
- Plan on arriving at school no later than 7:00 am so that you can be screened and directed to your assigned classroom.
- Remember to wear your mask, bring your calculator and a number 2 pencil. Do not bring/use a mechanical pencil.
- It is a 4-hour exam. Please plan to pick up your son/daughter around 12:00 pm.
- ACT Resources are located HERE!
- Instructions on how to create an MYACT account are HERE!
- Strongly Recommend: After the test, juniors will receive an email from Ms. Hailey on how to complete non-test-related information in their MYACT account. These are optional questions, however, this is a way for students to send scores free of charge to 4 colleges or scholarship agencies of their choice. Students will have 2 days to complete the non-test-related questions. Student Services will be hosting a help session on Wednesday, February 24th at 1:30 for any students that have questions about completing this. Students can sign up in ALLTimely for this help session.
- If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Hailey at Khailey@wcpss.net.
21-22 Course Registration
In addition to planning for our re-opening to in-person instruction, we have also been busy preparing for the 21-22 school year. Below is a list of important dates about our 21-22 Course Registration:
- Wednesday, February 24 (Open House) Look out for the information on February 24th at 5:00 pm. We will post Course Registration information for all interested, rising, and current families to review.
- Thursday, February 25 (Advisory) All GLHS students will have a mandatory Advisory to learn about the 21-22 Course Registration process.
- Friday, February 26 (Course Registration Begins) Students will have two weeks to complete their registration.
- Tuesday, March 2 (Parent Round Table). We will host our first Parent Round Table to answer any lingering questions you have regarding registration for the 2021-2022 school year. Mark your calendars, and fill out the RSVP, to join us from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm. Please also let us know in the RSVP form if you have specific questions you need to be answered so we can get the correct resources present to help too. Round Table RSVP Link is HERE!
- Friday, March 12 (Course Registration Ends)
Career Connections 2021 Fair
Reminder for Registered Students: Career and Technical Education will be celebrating CTE Month by hosting Career Connections 2021 on February 24 for students grades 8-12. The virtual event using Booth Central will kick-off at 9:00 am with a wide selection of 30-minute career readiness workshops hosted by WCPSS Career Development Coordinators. From 11:00- 12:00, students will have the opportunity to meet virtually with industry professionals during an Industry Fair showcasing the 16 Career Clusters.
Your senior year is around the corner and it is time to order your class ring! You will receive a packet of information from Jostens after the ACT on Tuesday. You can order online at Jostens.com, by mail, or come on campus on March 1 from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm. Jostens will have an outside tent set up in the front courtyard near the main lobby. If you order by March 12, you will get a free Adidas Striker II Backpack!
Engineering Career Conversation Month
If you are interested in pursuing Engineering as a post-secondary degree or career, please join us for the following conversations during Connectivity (8:45 am to 9:35 am). Remember to register in ALLTimely.
Engineering in 21st Century
Date: Tuesday, March 2
Presenter: Sumanth Kumar
Details: Discussion on an Engineering career path with details on design, modeling & manufacturing. We will also discuss advancements due to the latest technologies such as computer simulation, 3D Printing, Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality to enhance all types of engineering.
Date: Tuesday, March 16
Presenter: Nikila Vasudevan
Details: Nikila is a young graduate who graduated from Duke University and is working locally at Procter & Gamble. She is going to talk about the college journey and getting a job out of college.
Data Servers & Cloud
Date: Thursday, March 25
Presenter: Nitul Patel
Details: Nitul works at Dell Technologies, a premier technology company. He will discuss how the internet works, the backbone behind social media platforms such as Pinterest, Twitter, TikTok, and describe steps to take if you are interested in this career path.
Green Level Parent Survey
This survey covers an array of topics we would like to hear about from families about family engagement, family efficacy, family support, school climate, and Level-Up Professional Development from last Fall. Please set aside 15 minutes to complete this survey. We appreciate your time!
The link to the GL Parent Survey is HERE!
GLHS Fine Arts Department is hosting a virtual "Market Extravaganza" on Friday, March 19 from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm. We are gladly accepting any donated artwork through Sunday, February 28. If interested and able just fill out this form link HERE. Remember, you have until February 28th to whip something up or to scavenge in the attic for your masterpiece.
It is hard to believe that we are halfway through quarter 3 and will mail home interim grades next week to all families. If you have any questions about your son/daughter’s grades, please email his/her teacher.
Blended Course Level Change
Students in blended courses currently have the opportunity to switch from honors to academic now through February 26. Families who wish to make a level change for one of these courses must complete and submit a level change form that is accessible on our school website (see "Blended Courses" button under the "Academics" tab in the site header). You can also access this site using the following link HERE.
TLC for Teachers
For the next two weeks, we would love to show our teachers how much we love and appreciate them! Please join us in sticking the refrigerator with drinks, waters, sodas, individually wrapped snack items. If you want to drop off any items mark them "teachers only" and leave them outside the front doors.
Animal Shelter Supply Drive
Our FFA Club (Future Farmers of American) is sponsoring an Animal Shelter Supply Drive. Please donate any animal supplies from February 19 to 28 at the main entrance to the school.
Save the Dates
- March 1 (Monday): Cohort 1 Return to In-Person Instruction and Class Rings for Juniors
- March 2 (Tuesday): Parent Round Table from 6:30 to 7:30 Topic: Outstanding Questions about Registration