Banned Books Week 2022
#BooksUniteUs #BannedBooksWeek #uKnighted
Banned Books Week is all about protecting your right to read what you choose.
Thank you for participating in Banned Books Week 2022!
- Over 100 students registered OR committed to vote.
- Almost 50 teachers committed to vote.
- Over 300 NEW Manga titles were released with an amazing mural going up in the LC.
- There were 265 checkouts.
- Congrats to the 15 prize winners for voter commitments and the shredded book contest.
Any week is a good week to defend our 1st amendment rights to intellectual freedom! Remember to vote this November. It’s the only way to keep the rights you have and fight for the rights you want!
📕 Social Media
Tweet about censorship/1st amendment/literacy
Tweet a banned author
📕 Read Aloud or Other Banned Books Activities
- Read a banned book aloud and video it
- Suggested banned books here. We can hook you up in the LC.
- Mad Libs - digital or print
- Crossword puzzle - digital or print
📕 Come to the LC
Check out a book and enter to win a prize!
Teachers - email us to bring your whole class
- Guess the shredded book (don't worry - it was a damaged copy!)
- Hint: It was one of the top 10 most challenged books of 2021
📕 DEAR Time
📕 Have DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) time at least once next week with books, banned books or one of the options below
Articles for 4 periods (1st period, 2nd period, 3rd period, 4th period)
- Challenged Picture Books videos
📕 Facebook Live Event
📕 Facebook Live event with George M. Johnson, author of All Boys Aren't Blue
📕 WCPL Library Card
📕 It's FREE... info here - tweet out #LibraryCardSignUpMonth... help your students do the same!
"This is a fight for the truth that has always existed even if it rarely gets told. When the youth are empowered with stories about the experiences of others, they become adults who understand the necessity for equity and equality and have the tools to build a world the likes of which we have never seen."
― George M. Johnson
Fight Censorship... Read a Banned Book