Benefits of Reading
Study after study tells us that reading for pleasure:
- Increases students’ engagement in learning, resulting in higher test scores and more positive attitudes about school and education
- Improves reading achievement, which includes such things as as a strong vocabulary, a greater use of complex grammatical structures, and the development of a good writing style
- Promotes cognitive development
- Increases empathy and social skills
- Is entertaining (a student who loves books is never bored)
- Is correlated with better health
- Leads to a positive sense of well being
- Reduces stress
YOU matter ... Literacy matters, too!
Take some time every day to Drop Everything and Read, even for a few minutes. Your mind will thank you - and so will your stress levels!