Latest Drivers Ed Information for WHS Students
Fall, 2020 Driver Education Update
BTW started back in mid-July with a reduced work force is now proceeding as scheduled prior to the closure. We are working through each class section based on age within the class, oldest to youngest. Clearly, the shutdown changed our typical schedules and processes.
- We are currently working with February and March classroom students, and then we will proceed through the classes that were completed remotely during May, June, and July. The process is expected to take some time, especially with school opening back up.
- Sometimes a younger student is scheduled prior to an older one due to answering the phone or general availability for a time sensitive schedule. If you have a phone setting that does not allow your phone to ring with an unrecognized number, you might want to turn it off.
- Students will be driven in reverse order of age. I will only move a student up if he/she is about to turn 18.
- Each driving instructor has been trained on health safety protocols and has specific directions to follow that are not negotiable. When you are called for BTW, the instructor will go over these with you. Masks and temperature-taking will be mandatory.
We have completed all spring and summer scheduled sessions through online instruction. Fall classes will be conducted online as well.
- There are no additional summer classes planned. Registration for Fall 2020 will begin on September 14, with monthly online classes starting in October. Specific dates for October, November, and December classes will be posted on the JDS website in late September. Registration will take place through the JDS site, and forms will be submitted electronically.
- Students are placed in classes based on age, with the oldest students given priority. There will likely be many students registering this fall, so it will take several months to schedule everyone. The fee is $65.00, payable online, and covers both the classroom teaching and the driving instruction. The certificate of Drivers Ed completion is provided at the conclusion of BTW.
- The www.jordandriving.com website will be updated with information and directions once registration is open.
Applicable DMV Information:
- In order for a teen to enter the Graduated Licensing process, the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles(DMV) requires 30 hours of classroom instruction and 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training. Students may take Drivers Ed any time after the age of 14 ½.
- There are no academic requirements in order to take the Driver Education class. There are specific DMV academic requirements in order to apply for a permit or license after finishing the class.
- Jordan Driving School has a contract with WCPSS to provide Drivers Education outside of school hours. Instruction will be provided during afternoons, weekends, and holidays. Drivers Ed is not part of the regular school day, nor is any academic credit given.
- Students and parents should complete and submit a registration form. Once students are assigned to a class, they will be notified via email. Before the class begins, parents will need to pay the $65.00 fee in order to finalize their registration. The $65 fee covers both the Classroom and the Behind-The-Wheel instruction. Students that are dismissed from a class due to behavior or attendance problems will not be allowed to take Driver Education a second time through WCPSS.
- The Classroom portion of Drivers Ed occurs first. Upon completion of this, the student will be automatically scheduled for Behind-The-Wheel training, which will be conducted at the secondary school which the student attends. When both types of instruction are completed, the student will be given a Drivers Ed Completion Certificate, and the licensing process can begin at the DMV.
- Under North Carolina law, only students under the age of 18 are required to take Drivers Education. If the student is over or near this age, please contact the Lead Teacher directly.
- For additional information, an email may be sent to the Lead Teacher. You may also visit the JDS website at jordandriving.com. On the website you will find general information, email addresses for the lead teachers, specific classroom dates and a list of additional classes that might be available. For Behind the Wheel questions or information specific to your school, contact your Lead Teacher.
WHS Drivers Ed Lead Teacher
Jordan Driving School