Ms. Chidester's Weekly Message: 08/11/23
Dear Conn Magnet Elementary School Families,
2023-2024 Campus Guide: We are very excited to begin the 2023-2024 school year! As you prepare for the new school year, we encourage you to familiarize yourself with the important information contained in our new 2023-2024 Campus Guide. The information found in this guide will assist all of us in making a smooth transition back to school and creates a seamless school year.
Parent and Community Volunteers Registration: All WCPSS parent and community volunteers are required to register through the MyVolunteer system.
- On the MyVolunteer site, you will find disclosure and authorization forms, the WCPSS Volunteer Agreement, as well as a summary of rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You must review these documents and provide the requested information.
- Make sure you include your name and contact information when you begin the registration process. If you leave the CRC background site before completing your contact information, you will have to begin the process again.
- You must include your social security number to register to volunteer. If you do not have a social security number, please contact email@example.com or call 919-694-8233.
- You will be notified by the MyVolunteer system if you are approved to volunteer.
- Click here to start your volunteer registration.
Meet the Teacher: Mark your calendar for our Meet the Teacher event which will be held on Wednesday, August 23 from 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. This event will be for all Conn Magnet Elementary students grades 1 - 5.
- Meet the Teacher for Kindergarten will be held on September 1 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Meet the Teacher for PreK will be held on August 29 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Class lists will be posted outside when parents/guardians arrive so they can easily find their child's assigned teacher. Both parking lots will be open for the events. We will have staff members from various departments stationed around the building to help you navigate the new school year and answer any questions you may have.
School Supply Lists: Our school supply lists are posted on our website. Please click here to find out what supplies are recommended at each grade level.
Breakfast and Lunch Information: Carpool and walker students, please arrive by 8:55 a.m. during regular school hours to have enough time for breakfast.
- Beginning with the 2023-2024 school year, full-paid breakfast will be $1.50, and lunch will be $3.25 at elementary schools.
- Families still need to complete the 2023-2024 meal benefits application, which will be available online at MySchoolApps.com. Paper copies will be available for pick up at the school office. For more information, please see www.wcpss.net/free-reduced-meals.
- If you would like to have your child purchase extra snacks, you can set up an account at https://www.myschoolbucks.com.
Bus Service: At this time, it appears we will begin the traditional calendar school year with more bus routes than bus drivers. This means:
- Some routes may not have a permanent driver, though it has not yet been determined which routes would be affected.
- Aside from those routes, we expect more delays and uncovered bus routes this school year overall, because there are no substitute drivers to fill in when a driver is absent.
As a reminder, if you would like to provide your own transportation this school year, please complete the form at wcpss.net/declinebus as soon as possible.
2023-2024 Traditional Calendar: As your family prepares for the new school year, please utilize the most updated WCPSS 2023-2024 Traditional Calendar.
YMCA Before and After School: Are you interested in having your child(ren) participate in the YMCA program for the 2023 – 2024 school year? The YMCA Before and After School program is for families who need a structured childcare setting between the hours of 7:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. (before school) and 3:45 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (after school). For more information regarding pricing and other details, please check out their website.
WCPSS Student/Family Handbook: WCPSS has created this handbook to help you and your child understand the rules and expectations in school, on the way to and from school, and at school-sponsored activities. We encourage you to discuss those rules and this document with your child.
WCPSS has included an acknowledgement form in the WCPSS Student/Family Handbook. Please fill out the form and return it to school.
Weekly Principal's Message: A weekly school message will be sent every Friday at 5:00 p.m. Please continue to read our weekly messages as they share important up-to-date information.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our main office at 919-856-7637. Enjoy the last few weeks of summer. We can't wait to see you soon!
Gabriel Chidester, Principal
Important Dates to Remember
- Monday, August 21 - Friday, August 25- Teacher Workdays
- Wednesday, August 23- Meet the Teacher (grades 1-5) from 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, August 26- PTA KinderCONN at Conn Magnet Elementary's playground from 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
- Monday, August 28- First Day of School & Kindergarten Staggered Entry begins
- Tuesday, August 29- Meet the Teacher for PreK from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Thursday, August 31- First Day of School for PreK
- Friday, September 1- Kindergarten Meet the Teacher from 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Monday, September 4- Holiday
- Tuesday, September 5- First Day of School for Kindergarten students
- Monday, September 25- Teacher Workday