Spanish Language/IB PYP Theme
Joyner Elementary is unique in that it has a dual magnet theme. We are an International Baccalaureate school and a Center for Spanish Language.
Through the IB Primary Years Programme learning focuses on the development of the whole child as an inquirer, both in the classroom and in the world outside. It is defined by six transdisciplinary themes of global significance, explored using knowledge and skills derived from six subject areas, and has a powerful emphasis on inquiry-based learning.
The IB Primary Years Programme addresses students’ academic, social and emotional well-being, encourages students to develop independence and to take responsibility for their own learning, supports students’ efforts to gain understanding of the world and to function comfortably within it, and helps students establish personal values as a foundation upon which international-mindedness will develop and flourish. An aim of the PYP is to create a transdisciplinary curriculum that is engaging, relevant, challenging and significant.
Kindergarten through third graders will cycle through a rotation of Spanish and global education. They will spend the majority of the year with direct language instruction. Student will also have a unique opportunity to explore media resources, both digital and print to investigate and explore IB profiles, themes and concepts. This part of the rotation will incorporate international units of inquiry and foster digital and informational literacy. As our 4th and 5th graders are preparing for middle school and beyond, the Spanish instruction intensifies; and they will have daily Spanish instruction.
Upcoming Events and Info
Explore all magnet programs, early college schools and the year-round calendar in one location. Find magnet school options for your address located here.
- Date: October 26, 2019
- Time: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Location: Panther Creek HS, 6770 McKrimmon Parkway, Cary, NC 27519
- Email: email@example.com
Magnet Parent Information SessionsGeneral information sessions about all magnet themes, early colleges, and year-round calendar, along with info about the application and selection process.
- September 4, October 2, November 6, December 4, January 8
- Location: Crossroads I, 5625 Dillard Drive, Cary, NC 27518
- Time: 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Explore all magnet elementary programs in one location - chat with staff from each theme.
- November 14, 9:30-11:00 at Mills Park Elementary, 509 Mills Park Dr., Cary, NC 27519
- December 11, 9:30-11:00 at Scotts Ridge Elementary, 6601 Apex Barbecue Rd., Apex, NC 27502
- January 8, 9:30-11:00 at North Forest Pines Elementary , 11501 Forest Pines Dr., Raleigh, NC 27614
- January 15, 9:30-11:00 at Brier Creek Elementary, 9801 Brier Creek Pkwy., Raleigh, NC 27617
Magnet Middle School Evening Mini Fairs
Explore all magnet middle school programs in one location - chat with staff from each theme.
- November 12, 6p-7:30p - North Forest Pines ES,11501 Forest Pines Dr., Raleigh, NC 27614
- December 10, 6p-7:30p - Mills Park ES, 509 Mills Park Dr., Cary, NC 27519
- January 8, 6p-7:30p - Holly Grove ES, 1451 Avent Ferry Rd., Holly Springs, NC