ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ATTENDANCE
The Law: § 115C-378 Every parent, guardian or custodian in this State having charge or control of a child under the age of 16 years shall cause the child to attend school continuously for a period equal to the time which the public school is in session.
WCPSS Policy: An absence is excused if the following conditions exist:
- Illness or injury which makes the student physically unable to attend school.
- Isolation ordered by the State Board of Health or the Wake County Health Department.
- Death in family.
- Medical, dental, or other appointment with a health care provider for the student or for a child for whom the student is a custodial parent.
- Court when a student is under subpoena.
- Religious observance, as suggested by the religion of the student or the student's parents.
- Participation in a valid educational opportunity, such as travel with prior approval, as documented on the "Request for Excused Absence for Educational Reasons."
- A catastrophic event or natural disaster
Absences not classified as excused are unexcused. The student is responsible for submitting a note signed by the parent citing the reason for an absence to the principal's designee within two (2) days of the student's return to school. Failure to comply with the above will result in the absence being unexcused. For all absences, the student shall make up all work in a timely manner in accordance with Moore Square policy. The make-up work may be specific material missed by the student, reinforcement, or enrichment. Excessive absences will have serious academic consequences and may result in class or grade-level failure.
Moore Square Attendance:
All notes to excuse absences must be submitted to the Data Manager, Mrs. Georgette Harrington, office 1128.
Notes must be signed and dated by the parent/guardian and submitted in person by student or parent. Do not email any notes unless you are scanning medical appointment notes.
School Social Worker Contact: Ashley Davis *Phone: 919-664-5737 ext. 26647 *Email: email@example.com
Moore Square’s school day is from 7:30 am – 2:15 pm. All students are expected to be in class by 7:30 to be counted on time. Students arriving to school after 7:30 will be counted as tardy. Students are also expected to be in class prior to the tardy bell for each period. Students not in class by the tardy bell will be recorded as tardy. Students will receive a lunch detention after tardy number 3, 6, and 9 to school and/or class each quarter. Students will be assigned one day of In-School Suspension on the 12th tardy each quarter.