Career Development Coordinator
(919) 664-5737 ext. 26641
BE A BUSINESS PARTNER: Click Here to complete an interest form!
All students, whether college-bound or workforce-bound, are more likely to succeed academically if they see a direct correlation between their course work and their future beyond school. Providing this correlation is one of the most important responsibilities of a Career Development Coordinator.
WHAT IS SCHOOL-TO-CAREER?
School-to-Career (STC) is an initiative and a philosophy. It is a method of delivering curriculum to our students that links classroom knowledge to real life. Students learn better when information is made relevant, and STC ensures that relevancy occurs by linking schoolwork to workplace realities. School-to-Career links the world of school to the world of work by supporting school-based activities such as classroom speakers, mentors, soft-skills presentations, and real-world activities and by infusing these into the Common Core through collaboration between members of the business community and classroom teachers.
WHAT IS A CAREER DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR?
The Career Development Coordinator is responsible for:
- Providing career development services for all students
- Facilitating a network of parents, business professionals, college/university educators, and community organizations
- Supporting students’ transition to high school
WHAT DOES THE CAREER DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR DO FOR STUDENTS?
- The Career Development Coordinator provides a number of career-related experiences for students, including:
- Job Shadow Opportunities—Enabling students to be present in a “real world” job site, personally witnessing the connection between classroom and career
- Guest Speakers—Providing students the opportunity to hear from an individual in a specific field (their career of interest) discuss the aspects of their work.
- Field Trips—Exposing students to the real world of work, reinforcing what is being taught in their classroom.
- Interest Inventories—Assessing students on what careers best fit them, as well as providing opportunities to learn about careers unfamiliar to them
- Career Fairs—Introducing students to a wide variety of real world professions and professionals.
- Tutors/Mentors—Pairing students with members of the Business Alliance for career and academic support
- Service Learning Opportunities- Integrating meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities
WHAT IS BUSINESS ALLIANCE?
Moore Square Business Alliance is a collaboration of business, community, and school leaders committed to educating each student to be a responsible and productive citizen who can effectively manage future challenges. Through the support, dedication and commitment of our volunteers, we are able to provide a variety of opportunities to our students that help them understand the skills needed to become successful in their future. Click here to find out more!
Moore Square Business Alliance Members 2021-2022
Albert Alwang- Wake Economic Development
Kevin Bockenbrough- BCBS NC
Sarita Broadway- CFNC
Brittany Carlson- Artspace
Brandi Clark- Barak Financial Services LLC
Tonya Coachman- UPS
Alex Collier- Mirth Works LLC
Ali Daniels- SECU
Mitzi Downing- NC State University
Warren Dunshee- Entercom (Co-Chair)
Frank Fee- Advanced Animal Diagnostics, Inc
Amanda Fletcher- Moore Square Park
Serena Flood- Kymanox
Zahira Floyd- Red Hat
Jen Foster- Self Employed
Robert Gilchrist- Gilchrist Safety Solution, LLC
Wendy Gressett- Moore Square Career Development Coordinator
Steve Hess- NEMA
Adonya Hood- Raleigh Moms Blog
Ellie Johnson- Red Hat
Chris Kirk- US Army
Jenna Kostka- Moore Square Park
Heather Lee- Icon Clinical Research
Kimla Lee- Red Hat
Nicole Loeffler- Weatherspoon and Voltz LLC
Heather Marks- Heather Marks Consulting (Co-Chair)
Alison Medlin- NC State University
Julie Miller- Wake County Gov’t, Duke, Tech Private Consulting
Hector Molina- ECU
Jessica Moran- CPA
Brett Morris- Artspace
Jason Myers- City of Raleigh
Frank Preugschat- Self employed
Megan Raby- COR Museum and M.T. Pope Museum
Kim Saguinsin- Warrior Tech OCR
Tom Shannon- Epic Games
Lauren Shepard- Moore Square Magnet Coordinator
Syreeta Smith- WCPSS Early Childhood
Bernette Stivers- NC Inaugural Ball Sponsorship Chair
Shenette Swann- Marbles Kids Museum
Alice Tate- NCNMS
Amy Taylor SECU
Leslie Taylor- Moore Square Principal
Brandy Thompson- Clearscapes
Whitney White- NC State University
Grayson Williams- Red Hat