Choosing subjects in the Diploma Programme
DP candidates must take one course from each of the following subject groups:
- studies in language and literature
- language acquisition
- individuals and societies
DP candidates must also take one IB elective which may be an additional course from the sciences or individuals and societies, or may be an IB art course. Each candidate takes a minimum of three (but not more than four) subjects at the higher level (HL) over a period of two years. The remaining subjects are taken at the standard level (SL) and may be either 1 or 2 years courses. HL and SL courses differ in scope but are measured according to the same grade descriptors, with students expected to demonstrate a greater body of knowledge, understanding and skills at higher level.
In addition, DP Candidates are required to complete the following core components:
- Theory of Knowledge course
- Creativity, Activity and Service
- the Extended Essay
Information about each subject/requirement can be found in the corresponding subject brief.
IB Diploma Requirements
To earn an IB Diploma, candidates have to take courses from six subject areas: one each from groups 1-5, and either one from group 6 or a substitute from groups 3 or 4.
Group 1: Studies in Language and Literature
- Language A: Language and Literature (HL only)
Group 2: Language Acquisition
- Language ab initio: Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish (SL only)
- Language B: Spanish
Group 3: Individuals and Societies
- Business Management
- Global Politics
- History (HL only)
Group 4: Sciences
- Design Technology
- Environmental Systems and Societies (SL only)
- Sports, Exercise, and Health Science
Group 5: Mathematics
- Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches
- Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation
Group 6: The Arts
- Visual Arts
You must take at least three courses at the Higher Level (HL); The rest of your courses will be taken at the Standard Level (SL).
Each course culminates in several assessments. Scores for each subjects' assessments are combined and a student is awarded a score of 1-7, with a 4 considered passing.
To receive your IB Diploma, you will also need to complete the DP core. The core consists of three components:
- Theory of Knowledge (TOK Essay and TOK Presentation)
- the Extended Essay
- Creativity, Action, Service
Up to 3 bonus points can be awarded for EE and TOK.
To earn the IB Diploma, candidates need to earn a minimum of 24 total points and NOT have any of the following disqualifying conditions:
- CAS requirements have not been met.
- Candidate’s total points are fewer than 24.
- An N has been given for theory of knowledge, extended essay or for a contributing subject.
- A grade E has been awarded for one or both of theory of knowledge and the extended essay.
- There is a grade 1 awarded in a subject/level.
- Grade 2 has been awarded three or more times (HL or SL).
- Grade 3 or below has been awarded four or more times (HL or SL).
- Candidate has gained fewer than 12 points on HL subjects (for candidates who register for four HL subjects, the three highest grades count).
- Candidate has gained fewer than 9 points on SL subjects (candidates who register for two SL subjects must gain at least 5 points at SL).
DP subject briefs
Select level to view brief
Language and literature
- English: Language and Literature SL/HL
Individuals and societies
- Biology SL/HL
- Chemistry SL/HL
- Design Technology SL/HL
- Environmental Systems and Societies SL
- Sports, exercise and health science SL/HL