Any parent or community member who wishes to volunteer at Green Hope High School (or any WCPSS school) must follow WCPSS policies and procedures.
All volunteers must be cleared through Wake County’s volunteer registration. If you plan to participate in an activity that:
- May require direct contact with students on or off campus with no or limited supervision
- May require access to confidential information
- Potentially involves solitary time with students
- May take place outside the view of school staff for brief or extended periods
- May involve driving students in a personal vehicle
- May take place with supervision or in a public setting
- May involve little or no student contact and no solitary time with students
Examples: overnight field trips, tutoring inside or outside the classroom, extended out-of-school activities, off-campus mentoring, field trip chaperone, dance chaperone, club sponsor, health room assistant, volunteer coach, clerical work for teacher, telephone volunteer, media center volunteer, beautification volunteer, classroom assistant, field day volunteer, test proctor, front office helper, room parent
As a reminder:
Those who register to volunteer are agreeing to a criminal background check. A criminal background check is important when needed, but it is not required for every person who visits our schools. There are only two categories in the current system.
Guests: Visitors who are never left alone with students are considered guests. They do not need background checks. Typical examples would include speakers, presenters and community members attending a school event.
Volunteers: Visitors who are alone with students at any point do require background checks. There are no "levels" of volunteer status. You are either a volunteer who could be alone with students or you aren't. Typical examples range from a community volunteer who reads with a child to an overnight chaperone. The same background check is done for every type of volunteer.
How to register:
You must register on the campus of any Wake County Public School System School. The registration is located on the school’s intranet. If you plan to register at Green Hope High School, you use the computer located in the main office.