Principal's Weekly Message, 5-19-23
Greetings LRMS Families,
I hope your week has gone well. Here are your weekly updates:
1. Next week is a five-day week for students.
2. Events next week:
- Tuesday, May 23 - Spring Band Concerts
Beginning Band Concert at 6:00pm, call-time 5:30pm in LRHS auditorium
7th & 8th Grade Band Concert at 7:30pm, call-time 7:00pm in LRHS auditorium
Click here for advance ticket purchase through May 21st. Tickets will also be sold at the event. Candygrams will be sold cash only.
- Wednesday, May 24, 5pm - Fall Sports Interest Meeting (more details below)
- Friday, May 26 - Science EOG (8th Grade Only)
3. Events/Testing for the rest of the year:
- Wednesday, May 31 - EOG Testing (all students)
- 6th Grade - Math
- 7th Grade - Reading
- 8th Grade - Math 8 or Math 1
- Thursday, June 1 - EOG Testing (all students)
- 6th Grade - Reading
- 7th Grade - Math
- 8th Grade - Reading
- June 2-6 - EOG Make-up Testing
- Wednesday, June 7 - 8th Grade Carnival (afternoon)
- Thursday, June 8, 8:30am - Eighth Grade Celebration Ceremony
- Friday, June 9 - 6th and 7th Grade Awards Ceremonies
- Adventurers - 8:30am
- Discoverers - 9:30am
- Navigators - 10:45am
- Voyagers - 11:45am
- June 12, 13 - Teacher Workdays with EOG Remediation/Re-Testing
4. Here is the reminder regarding the Remediation/Re-testing offered on June 12 and 13 (Teacher Workdays):
- June 12th - Math
- June 13th - Reading
5. Here are the reminders ahead of EOG Testing starting next week:
- Please mark 5/26 (8th only), 5/31, 6/1 as the dates your student needs to be present and on-time. Testing sessions begin as close to 8:30am as possible each day. We have notified transportation in hopes that these dates are prioritized for bus drivers.
- No cell phones or smart watches are permitted. All devices should be powered off and put away during test sessions. Should a device interrupt a test, it's possible that all students in that setting will have to take the test over again.
- Students should bring their charged chromebook for all test dates. All State Tests are online.
6. Here is a note from Ms. Busell in the Media Center about Student Devices for the end of the year:
- WCPSS requires students in 8th grade to return their assigned Chromebook at the end of the school year. The device and charger must be turned in on the student's ELA class scheduled day. Students who do not return their device will not be eligible for a new device upon the start of 9th grade.
- Herzing ELA classes - Friday, June 2nd
- Ronco ELA classes - Monday, June 5th
- Roberts ELA classes - Tuesday, June 6th
- Students withdrawing from WCPSS must return all WCPSS-issued devices to their school on or before their last day.
- Assigned day use devices (6th & 7th grades) will be collected on Wednesday, June 7th.
- All other students will keep their assigned devices through the summer to use next school year. If a rising 7th or 8th grader will be transferring to another WCPSS school, they will take their device with them.
7. This is the reminder of the meeting for rising 7th and 8th grade students and families who are interested in Fall Sports next year. This interest meeting will be Wednesday at 5pm in the gym. This opportunity will provide parents with information about required paperwork, timelines, eligibility and tryouts. First, our administration and athletic director will speak. Then, there will be a chance to meet our football, volleyball, girls soccer and cheerleading coaches for quick breakout sessions.
8. Here is a note for rising 9th graders interested in football at Leesville High:
Please mark your calendars and plan to attend a meeting on May 23rd at 6pm. This meeting will be held in the LRHS gym. The meeting will be for prospective players and parents interested in joining the football program at LRHS and also for all returning players and parents. We will discuss summer and fall schedules and expectations.
Equipment Fitting times for 8th graders - 5/24 and 5/25
Arrive on time at 6pm. First come first serve and will last until around 7:30pm.
May 24th - Last names A-L
May 25th - Last names M-Z
We would love for all rising 9th graders to attend youth camp if possible.
When: Monday - Friday, July 24th - 28th
Times: 8:00am - 12:00pm
Grades: 2nd - rising 9th
Cost: $215 (Includes T-Shirt)
In order to receive a camp T-shirt you must register by June 1, 2023.
9. Here's a note about Game Design Academy for rising 9th graders going to Leesville High:
- Integral co-curricular and interdisciplinary projects
- Vital soft skills training
- Work Based Learning culminating with a 120-hour internship
- Active participation of industry partners (Epic Games)
- Meet the growing needs of local manufacturers and technology companies
- Be a crucial part of the engine driving local, regional, and state economies
- QR Code for the Academy Application
10. PTSA Updates:
PTSA End of Year Celebration
Please join us May 25, 5:30-7:00, for an end of the year celebration at Leesville Tap Room. Food and non-alcoholic beverages will be provided.
Enjoy time with parents and staff as we wrap up the year! We will also vote on the 2023-2024 LRMS PTSA Slate of Officers. (Please see below)
Hope to see you there!
2023-2024 LRMS PTSA Slate of Officers
President: Colleen Streetman
Treasurer: Lauren Noyes
Secretary: Cat Wilborne
VP Academics: Wendy Teeter
VP Fundraising: Kellie Macdonald
VP School Activities: Jenn AndersonVP Communications: Kyla Cragg
Staff Member of the Month
Each month LRMS teachers and staff are given the opportunity to nominate one of their own for Staff Member of the Month. The nominees are then placed in a drawing for a $25 gift card.
Congratulations to Ms. Cole-Brown who was nominated by her peers and awarded the Teacher of the Month award for April!
8th Grade Carnival
The 8th Grade Carnival will be Wednesday, June 7th!
We will serve a pizza lunch from 11AM-12PM, then move on to games from 12-2:30PM. We want to make the celebration a blast but we need a lot of help.
We are asking for donations of waters, chips, and mandarin oranges for the lunch. We would like to borrow your red or white pop- up tents, corn hole set, giant Jenga, and any other fun games. Finally, we need a lot of volunteers to serve pizza and then run each of the game stations to make sure the event flows well and the kids have a great time.
During the Carnival Clean Up we will start the Set up for the Promotion and Awards Celebration that will be held the next morning! Sign up to volunteer and help make it a great celebration.
Rising 7th and 8th grade students and families who are interested in LRMS Fall Sports next year. There will be an interest meeting for parents and student-athletes at 5pm on May 24 in the gym. This opportunity will provide parents with information about required paperwork, timelines, eligibility and tryouts. Our football, volleyball, girls soccer and cheerleading coaches will all be available then as well.
End of Year Media Center Announcements
LRHS Pride Football 3rd Annual Golf Tournament
The LRHS Pride Football 3rd Annual Golf Tournament is Tuesday, June 27th this year. The Golf Tournament is our largest fundraiser of the year and has been a lot of fun for everyone! Please support our football players by playing golf in the tournament or being a sponsor for the event. There are 3 levels of sponsorship at $250/$500/$1000.
Register now at www.lrhspride.com
Thank you for supporting our kids, our schools and our community. We look forward to seeing you there!
For more information, please contact email@example.com
Have a great weekend,
Chris Cox, Principal