Single Subject Acceleration is the practice of assigning a student to a higher-grade level than is typical, given the student's age, for the purpose of providing access to appropriately challenging learning opportunities in either Language Arts or Mathematics.
Learn more here. See below for nomination windows and forms.
Any questions should be directed to Christine Wheeler email@example.com.
Students meeting qualifying criteria in grades K‐7 can take advanced academic content in mathematics or English Language Arts through Single Subject Acceleration (SSA). This ensures opportunities for appropriate levels of academic challenge. Only students who are currently enrolled and attending a WCPSS school during the open nomination and testing window are eligible to be considered for SSA.
Does My Child Qualify?
SSA allows students to show mastery of content in select elementary or middle school courses. Students who prove mastery do not have to take the course and may move on to the next level.
Parents may nominate their child to skip a grade level of content in either English Language Arts or mathematics.
Students are nominated for SSA by their parents or guardians. They will be assessed at their school based upon grade level. Depending on grade level and subject, this could include a multiple-choice test and/or a writing sample. Your school will have more specific information about this process once your child is nominated.
Nominating Your Child
SSA nominations are CLOSED for the 2019-20 school year.
The nomination windows for SSA are as follows for the following schools or classification of schools:
- Wake Young Men's and Young Women's Leadership Academies - 4/1-4/12/2019
- Modified Calendar Schools - 4/5-4/18/2019
- Traditional Calendar Schools, plus Fox Road Elementary, Carroll Middle, East Garner MS and East Millbrook Middle - 4/23-5/6/2019
- Year-Round Track 1 Calendar Schools - 4/15-4/29/2019
- Year-Round Track 2 Calendar Schools - 4/16-4/30/2019
- Year-Round Tracks 3 and 4 Calendar Schools, plus Barwell and Walnut Creek Elementary - 5/10-5/23/2019