Principal's Weekly Message, 5-12-23
Here are your weekly updates:
1. Next week is a five-day week for students.
2. Events Next Week:
- Monday, May 15, 4pm - Softball AWAY, @ West Millbrook (played at Baileywick Park)
- Wednesday, May 17, 3:15pm - Art Portfolio Club
- Friday, May 19, 7-9pm - 8th Grade Dance (today, 5/12 is the last day to purchase tickets - link is here)
3. End-of-Year Testing and Other Events:
- Wednesday, May 24, 5pm - Fall Sports Interest Meeting
- Friday, May 26 - Science EOG (8th Grade Only)
- Wednesday, May 31 - EOG Testing (all students)
- 6th Grade - Math
- 7th Grade - Reading
- 8th Grade - Math 8 or Math 1
- Thursday, June 1 - EOG Testing (all students)
- 6th Grade - Reading
- 7th Grade - Math
- 8th Grade - Reading
- June 2-6 - EOG Make-up Testing
- Wednesday, June 7 - 8th Grade Carnival (afternoon)
- Thursday, June 8, 8:30am - Eighth Grade Celebration Ceremony
- Friday, June 9 - 6th and 7th Grade Awards Ceremonies
- Adventurers - 8:30am
- Discoverers - 9:30am
- Navigators - 10:45am
- Voyagers - 11:45am
- June 12, 13 - Teacher Workdays with EOG Remediation/Re-Testing
4. Here is a note regarding the Remediation/Re-testing offered on June 12 and 13 (Teacher Workdays):
- June 12th - Math
- June 13th - Reading
5. Here are a few reminders ahead of EOG Testing in a couple weeks:
- Please mark 5/26 (8th only), 5/31, 6/1 as the dates your student needs to be present and on-time. Testing sessions begin as close to 8:30am as possible each day. We have notified transportation in hopes that these dates are prioritized for bus drivers.
- No cell phones or smart watches are permitted. All devices should be powered off and put away during test sessions. Should a device interrupt a test, it's possible that all students in that setting will have to take the test over again.
- Students should bring their charged chromebook for all test dates. All State Tests are online.
6. This note is for rising 7th and 8th grade students and families who are interested in Fall Sports next year. There will be an interest meeting for parents and student-athletes at 5pm on May 24 in the gym. This opportunity will provide parents with information about required paperwork, timelines, eligibility and tryouts. Our football, volleyball, girls soccer and cheerleading coaches will all be available then as well. We'll include more details in next week's message.
7. Here's a note about Game Design Academy for rising 9th graders going to Leesville High:
- Integral co-curricular and interdisciplinary projects
- Vital soft skills training
- Work Based Learning culminating with a 120-hour internship
- Active participation of industry partners (Epic Games)
- Meet the growing needs of local manufacturers and technology companies
- Be a crucial part of the engine driving local, regional, and state economies
- QR Code for the Academy Application
8. PTSA Updates:
8th Grade Dance tickets are on sale NOW for $10
Online ticket sales are available until May 12th.
In-person tickets sales Wed 5/3-Fri 5/12 during homeroom. Look for the PTSA table at the main staircase.
Do not wait until the last minute because we will NOT sell tickets at the door. Also, tickets are not refundable even if you lose the privilege due to behavior
Thank you to the many people that have signed up to volunteer to help make our 8th grade dance a night to remember we are still looking for a few helpers.
8th Grade Carnival
The 8th Grade Carnival will be Wednesday, June 7th!
We will serve a pizza lunch from 11AM-12PM, then move on to games from 12-2:30PM. We want to make the celebration a blast but we need a lot of help.
We are asking for donations of waters, chips, and mandarin oranges for the lunch. We would like to borrow your red or white pop- up tents, corn hole set, giant Jenga, and any other fun games. Finally, we need a lot of volunteers to serve pizza and then run each of the game stations to make sure the event flows well and the kids have a great time.
During the Carnival Clean Up we will start the Set up for the Promotion and Awards Celebration that will be held the next morning! Sign up to volunteer and help make it a great celebration.
End of Year Media Center Announcements
LRMS PTSA Volunteer Survey 2023-24 School Year
LRMS PTSA is looking to fill dozens of volunteer openings for the PTSA Board and committees for the 2023-2024 school year. We need parent volunteers to run several programs including the Winter Dance, teacher appreciation events, 6th grade social, 8th grade dance/carnival/awards, Honor Roll Breakfast, Character Breakfast and many more programs.
Stuffed Animal Drive
Have a great weekend,
Chris Cox, Principal