Principal's Weekly Message, 4-28-23
Greetings, and welcome to the month of May! If you haven't completed this Family Survey, please do so this week. Here are your weekly updates with a few end-of-year dates to mark on your calendars as well:
1. Next week is a five-day week for students.
2. Events next week:
- Monday, May 1, 4pm - Softball AWAY, @ West Millbrook (at Baileywick Park)
- Tuesday, May 2, 4pm - Boys Soccer AWAY, @ Durant
- Wednesday, May 3, 3:15 - Art Portfolio Club
- Wednesday, May 3, 4pm - Track Meet HOME, vs. Durant
- Wednesday, May 3, 7pm - 7th/8th Grade Dance Concert #1
- Thursday, May 4, 4pm - Sixth Grade Dance Concert
- Thursday, May 4, 7pm - 7th/8th Grade Dance Concert #2
- Friday, May 5, 3:30pm - LMAC End-of-Year Celebration (for all 2022-23 LRMS Athletes and Coaches)
3. End-of-Year Testing and Other Events:
- Friday, May 12 - Last LIONS Breakfast (by invitation only)
- Friday, May 19 - Eighth Grade Dance
- Friday, May 26 - Science EOG (8th Grade Only)
- Wednesday, May 31 - EOG Testing (all students)
- 6th Grade - Math
- 7th Grade - Reading
- 8th Grade - Math 8 or Math 1
- Thursday, June 1 - EOG Testing (all students)
- 6th Grade - Reading
- 7th Grade - Math
- 8th Grade - Reading
- June 2-6 - EOG Make-up Testing
- Wednesday, June 7 - 8th Grade Carnival (afternoon)
- Thursday, June 8, 8:30am - Eighth Grade Celebration Ceremony
- Friday, June 9, TBD - 6th and 7th Grade Awards Ceremonies
- June 12, 13 - Teacher Workdays with EOG Remediation/Re-Testing
4. Remember, our office team and I are actively planning for the 2023-24 school year. Our ability to hire staff is based on the number of students enrolled for next year. This is where you come in. If your rising 7th or 8th grader is currently enrolled but no longer planning to attend Leesville Middle next school year, please notify our data manager, Ms. Crawford (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are trying to ensure we have accurate enrollment numbers as we plan staffing and master scheduling. Thanks in advance.
5. Attention: Parents of rising 7th Graders! You child will need more vaccines. NC Law now requires Tdap and Meningococcal vaccine for entry into 7th grade. You will need to bring a copy of your student record to the office before school starts on August 27th. More information is posted in this flyer and on the school website.
6. Is your student in need of an updated physical to participate in middle school sports next year? Here's a Flyer from Emerge Ortho with a great opportunity next month for cost-efficient physicals.
7. The time has arrived for our current 7th graders to apply to become members of the LRMS National Junior Honor Society. Below is the introductory letter with details from our club advisor, Mr. Ronco (email@example.com):
8. Here are a couple opportunities that our Lions can keep giving back to those in need:
- Food Drive: National Junior Honor Society has organized a food drive where students can bring in canned/nonperishable food items, and NJHS will deliver it to the food bank where it plans to do their yearly service project. The food drive will end on Friday, May 5th.
- Stuffed Animal Drive: The PTSA is sponsoring a collection drive for The Ronald McDonald House and WakeMed Pediatrics. Your donations will provide comfort and support for children and teens while they are patients at WakeMed. Please drop off new stuffed animals and family-style games at the LMS front desk. Thank you so much for your support!
9. PTSA Updates:
8th Grade Dance
8th Grade Dance tickets are on sale NOW for $10
Online ticket sales are available until May 12th.
In-person tickets sales will be Wed 5/3, Thurs 5/4, Friday 5/5, Mon 5/8, Wed 5/10, Thurs 5/11, Fri 5/12 during homeroom. Look for the PTSA table at the main staircase.
Do not wait until the last minute because we will NOT sell tickets at the door. Also, tickets are not refundable even if you lose the privilege due to behavior
Thank you to the many people that have signed up to volunteer to help make our 8th grade dance a night to remember! We are still looking for a few more volunteers prior to the dance, with ticket sales and decoration set up. The night of the dance we also need volunteers to help oversee the food tables and help with cleaning up.
If you are a 7th grade parent, we could really use your help decorating after school and serving at the dance so the 8th grade parents can help their students get ready. Also, this is a great chance to come and see the dance in action as you might be interested in planning for next year. Please review the available slots below and click to sign up.
The decoration volunteers will have a couple meetings prior to the decorating dates. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in being involved not just in decorating the day of the dance but planning decorations. We need volunteers to make the dance happen!
LRMS PTSA Volunteer Survey 2023-24 School Year
LRMS PTSA is looking to fill dozens of volunteer openings for the PTSA Board and committees for the 2023-2024 school year. We need parent volunteers to run several programs including the Winter Dance, teacher appreciation events, 6th grade social, 8th grade dance/carnival/awards, Honor Roll Breakfast, Character Breakfast and many more programs.
Spring BOGO Book Fair
The annual Spring Buy One Book Fair will be in the Media Center May 1st through May 5th. Students will come once with their ELA class and may come at other times with a pass from their teacher.
Sale times will be:
Monday, May 1st - 8:15am-3:00pm
Tuesday, May 2nd - 7:50am-3:00pm
Wednesday, May 3rd - 7:50am-3:00pm
Thursday, May 4th - 7:50am-3:00pm
Friday, May 5th - 7:50am-11:30am
Families may set up an eWallet and share the link with friends and families to contribute to their student's book purchases. Find out more at https://www.scholastic.com/bf/lrmsbookfair
Have a great weekend,
Chris Cox, Principal