Return to Headlines
State Employee Volunteers
We are grateful for your service to our state and your interest in supporting our schools with critical needs during this challenging time.
Per the State Human Resource Commission’s Community Service Leave Policy, full-time state employees are eligible for 24 hours of paid community service leave each calendar year. On Jan. 12, 2022, Governor Cooper announced a change in policy that allows state employees to use paid leave to serve as substitute staff in schools while also keeping any compensation they earn as substitutes. This change is in effect Jan. 12 to Feb. 15, 2022.
If you are interested in serving in our schools, choose one of the following options:
Volunteer as substitute teacher and receive compensation
- Visit the Substitute Teacher site to submit your application to be temporarily hired as a substitute teacher.
- Email the Substitute Office at email@example.com with your name and AppliTrack application number to expedite review of your application. Use “State Employee Substitute Application” in the email subject line.
- Once your substitute application is approved, the Substitute office will email you to provide a link that will cover the $29 cost for completing the required online course Substitute Effective Teacher Training. This training will take approximately six hours to complete.
- Upon completion of the SETT/ETT, upload your certificate of completion to your online application in AppliTrack.
- Once your application is reviewed, the Substitute Office will contact you to provide additional information regarding the next steps in the process.
Volunteer as substitute teacher without compensation
- Complete this Google form to follow an abbreviated process to register as a state employee volunteer. Note on the form that you wish to serve as a volunteer substitute teacher who does not receive compensation. This form can be completed from any location.
- Once your volunteer registration and background check are complete, Kathy Flor (firstname.lastname@example.org) will email you to provide a link that will cover the $29 cost for completing the required online course "Substitute Effective Teacher Training" via App-Garden University. This training will take approximately 6 hours to complete.
- Upon completion of the SETT/ETT, email your certificate of completion to email@example.com. Include State Employee Volunteer SETT Certificate in the subject line and include your full name in the body of the email.
Volunteer to provide student supervision, cafeteria or transportation support or help schools with other needs without compensation
- Complete this Google form to follow an abbreviated process to register as a state employee volunteer. Note on the form that you wish to support schools with student supervision or other needs. This form can be completed from any location.
- Once your volunteer registration is complete, the district will contact you to provide additional information.
Contact Georgette Duncan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kathy Flor (email@example.com).