Process for Obtaining a Driver's Eligibility Certificate (DEC)
Important Things to Know:
- DECs are only valid for 30 days
- NEW (as of 3/17/23): A parent/guardian OR student may obtain the DEC. Please follow the instructions below.
- Important Note: Per NCDMV rules, staff will check the student’s grades for adequate progress before issuing the DEC. Grades are reviewed by semester. Students MUST pass a minimum of 70% of classes the semester prior in order to receive a DEC.
- To save time, it is best to schedule an appointment with the DMV PRIOR to receiving the DEC from the school (again, the DEC is only valid for 30 days)
How to Obtain a DEC from the school (during the school year):
Step 1: Send an email to Mrs. Feingertz with your child's driver's education certificate
- Scan or take a photo of the completed Driver's Education Certificate and email it to Mrs. Feingertz in Student Services (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please complete this step REGARDLESS of whether the parent or student will be picking the DEC up. This allows us to complete the other checks needed and prepare the certificate ahead of time.
Step 2: Sign up for a DEC Appointment through SignUp Genius
- Please note that appointments can be made for parents OR students to pick up. This allows us to have the certificate prepared when the parent or student comes in.
- The sign up genius can be found at: Fall 2023 DEC Appointments
Step 3: Bring the following documents with you to the appointment:
- Completed Driver’s Education Certificate (if it has not been emailed ahead of time)
- Proof of address (must match what is in PowerSchool). Proof of your Wake County address must be one of the following:
- Current water, gas, or electric bill in parent's name that is no more than 30 days old,
- Newly signed lease that is no more than 60 days old,
- Settlement statement or
- Offer to Purchase agreement, in limited circumstances.
Step 4: Receiving the DEC
- Parents: once you arrive for your appointment, staff will direct you to the location to receive the DEC.
- Students: please stop by Student Services at your convenience on the day of your sign up.
Important Note: If your STUDENT picks up the DEC, please ensure that YOU (the parent/guardian) need to read, sign and date the DEC prior to arriving at the DMV. The DEC will expire 30 days from the date that AHS puts on the certificate, not the date that you put on it, so again, please do not obtain a DEC more than 30 days prior to going to the DMV.