What is the IB Middle Years Programme?
At Millbrook, ALL 9th and 10th grade students are in the IB Programme - the Middle Years Programme. The MYP provides a framework of learning which encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers. The MYP emphasizes intellectual challenge, encouraging students to make connections between their studies in traditional subjects and to the real world. It fosters the development of skills for communication, intercultural understanding and global engagement, qualities that are essential for life in the 21st century.
The Middle Years Programme:
- encourages international-mindedness
- encourages a positive attitude towards learning
- supports the development of communication skills
- emphasizes the development of the whole student
- allows students to demonstrate acquired knowledge through the Personal Project
Global Contexts for Learning
Teachers organize the curriculum through 6 Global Contexts that provide a framework for learning within and across the subject areas.
- IDENTITIES AND RELATIONSHIPS: Students explore identity, beliefs and values, personal health and human relationships.
- ORIENTATION IN TIME AND SPACE: Students explore personal histories, turning points in human kind and the interconnectedness of individuals as well as societies.
- PERSONAL AND CULTURAL EXPRESSION: Students engage in the discovery and expression of ideas as well as reflecting on creativity and the ways in which humans enjoy and appreciate aesthetics.
- SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNICAL INNOVATION: Students focus on the connections between humans and the environment, and engage in discussions about the impact of scientific advancements.
- GLOBALIZATION AND SUSTAINABILITY: An in-depth discussion of how all things are connected and the impact of local decisions on the global environment.
- FAIRNESS AND DEVELOPMENT: Discussions are centered on the relationships between communities, access to equal opportunities, and rights and responsibilities of human kind.
The IB Leaner Profile
The aim of all IB programmes is to develop internationally minded people who, recognizing their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, help to create a better and more peaceful world. By encouraging students to develop the IB Learner Profile attributes we believe our students can achieve that goal.
What does this mean for your student?
Life in the 21st century places many changing demands on students making the transition through adolescence. They are at a crucial period of personal, social, physical and intellectual development, of uncertainty and questioning. The IB Middle Years Programme is designed to help them find a sense of belonging in the ever-changing and increasingly interrelated work around them and to foster a positive attitude to learning.
International Baccalaureate Organization. The IB Middle Years Programme. N.p.: International Baccalaureate Organization, 2008. Print.