What do I do if I believe my child is struggling?

  • Make an appointment to speak with your child's teacher

    Have an open discussion with the teacher about the academic/behavior problem.

    Ask questions such as

    • Do you think my child is struggling in class?
    • What specific area(s) is he/she having difficulty?
    • What can I do to help him/her in class? How does his/her progress compare to the progress of other students in class?
    • What academic/behavior plan can the teacher and parent put in place for my child to be successful?

    Talk to Your Child’s Doctor Check for hearing/vision problems. Some difficulties could be physical problems.

  • Make an appointment to speak with your child's school counselor

    Have an open discussion with the school counselor about your child.

    Ask questions such as

    • Is my child on track for promotion?
    • May I review my child’s tran-script?
    • Are the courses in which my child enrolled preparing him/her for ca-reer/college readiness?
    • What is my child’s GPA (Grade Point Average)?
    • Is my child on track for graduation?
    • Should my child attend summer school or add classes for virtual public school?
    • Is there a school tutoring program?
    • What are some other school resources available to assist my child?

  • School Specialists

    Intervention Coordinator

    responsible for coordinating academic support, remediation, and/or resources for at-risk students

    School Psychologist

    supports children’s academic skills, behavior/social skills, mental health within a MTSS Framework

    School Social Worker

    addresses the social and psychological issues that can block academic progress

    School Nurse

    implements strategies that promote student and staff health and safety

    Disability Services

    includes Special Programs and Section 504 and ensures that all children with disabilities, ages 3-21, have available to them a free appropriate public education

    Make an appointment to learn more about services to students with disabilities. 

  • What if I Suspect my Child Has Learning Problems?

    • Collect information about your child’s academic and behavior performance.
    • Request a teacher conference.
    • Share concerns with his/her teacher.
    • Identify student’s strengths and weaknesses with the teacher.
    • Ask the teacher to share information about differentiation instruction.
    • Ask the teacher to share information about core instruction and/or interventions being implemented.
    • Ask the teacher to provide monitoring reports on student success.
    • Ask the teacher about involving the school counselor.
    • Ask the teacher and/or school counselor about other school specialists.
    • Parent should request a parent, school counselor, teacher conference.
    • Ask the teacher and/or school counselor to share information to determine if additional academic/behavior support is needed.
    If student continues to struggle teacher and/or school counselor should conference with parent about assessment for specific learning problems.

  • What Can Parents Do to Support Their Child?

    • Review and assist with homework.
    • Celebrate your child’s successes.
    • Learn more about the curriculum.
    • Participate in conferences/mtgs.
    • Ask about school tutoring programs.
    • Check grades on Parent Portal.
  • Some Individual School Programs Resources for Academics and/or Behavior

    • Tutoring
    • Mentoring Program
    • Character Education
    • Academic Online Instruction
    • Purposeful Scheduling
    • Alternative Learning Center
    • MTSS: Multi-Tiered System of Supports
    • PBIS: Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports
    • Attendance & Behavior Contracts
    • Other: Check with schools for complete listing of support.