2022 - 2023 Carpool Procedures
If your child is not riding the bus, please review the following carpool procedures.
WHERE DO WE ENTER/EXIT?
WYWLA families must use the Western Boulevard entrance and follow the designated carpool route. The Western Boulevard entrance is located next to the NC. Dept. of Agriculture Building. Enter through the gate that is labeled Western Blvd Gate and turn right at the first intersection onto Perimeter Rd. Follow the road until you reach the stop sign. Wait at the stop sign until a staff member motions for you to turn left onto Campus Rd to enter the carpool circle. After you unload/load, you will continue around the circle, turn right onto Perimeter Rd and exit following the same route that you used to enter. Drivers will enter and exit from Western Boulevard.
WHERE DO WE UNLOAD/LOAD?
Carpool drivers should release ALL students in front of Lineberry Hall during morning arrival.
Drivers should pull all the way around the circle to allow as many cars as possible to unload. Drivers should follow the same procedures in the afternoon. Campus Security and WYWLA staff will direct traffic during drop-off and pick-up.
WHY CAN'T WE USE THE MAIN ENTRANCES?
The main entrances are reserved for school buses and the employees who park on campus. Although we are a small school, the main entrance does not allow enough cars to enter and load or unload without blocking Ashe Avenue. We understand that this route may not be the most convenient for some families, but it is the safest for all students and employees who use the GMS Campus.
WHAT ELSE DO WE NEED TO KNOW?
To ensure the safety of WYWLA and GMS students, carpool drivers should follow the guidelines below:
- Drive slowly on campus and follow the directions of staff members who are assisting with carpool.
- Yield right-of-way to school buses and pedestrians moving about the campus.
- Follow the designated carpool routes; do not create different transportation routes to expedite your drop-off/pick-up. This is extremely important for the visually impaired GMS students who must adjust to our traffic routes as they are moving about campus.
- Do not drop off near the dining hall, gym, or high school building.
- Pull around the entire circle as far as possible to allow as many cars to load/unload as possible.
- Encourage your daughter to load or unload as quickly as possible.
- Families should not park near the dining hall, gym, Currin or the parking lot next to the Lineberry to pick up students. Parking spaces are for parents and guests who are visiting.
- It is important to follow these procedures in the morning during drop-off and in the afternoon for pick-up. These procedures should be followed even if staff members are not present to direct traffic.
WHAT TIME CAN WE DROP OFF AND PICK UP?
Staff members report to work at 7:05am each morning and will report to carpool duty at 7:10am. If you arrive prior to 7:10am, please wait at the stop sign until a staff member directs you to pull into the circle.
School dismisses at 2:10pm. Cars can line up and stop at the stop sign prior to 2:10pm. Please wait at the stop sign until a staff member directs you to pull into the circle.
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?
If you are coming from the Cary or 440 side of Western Blvd, you will need to make a u-turn to access the Western Blvd. entrance. If you are coming from the downtown area, stay in the right turning lane as you pass Central Prison.
ABOUT EARLY COLLEGE STUDENT AT SAU?
Early college carpool students may arrive no earlier than 7:05am. Parents should enter through the main entrance and drop off in front of Boyer Hall. SAU security officers will be on site to provide directions.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation!