Canvas Parent Observer Accounts
Families can view their student's course content and progress by creating a Canvas Observer Account. If you have multiple students, you can link all your students under a single Observer account.
- First, your student must first log in to Canvas on a computer (not a mobile device) and generate a pairing code. View a tutorial of how to generate a code for a parent observer account.
- The student must be enrolled in courses before you can sign up to observe the student. (Wait until after the first day of school.)
- Once you have the pairing code, you can create your account. Go to https://wcpss.instructure.com/login/canvas and click the link Click Here for an Account.
- If you have multiple students, follow these directions for Linking Multiple Students to an Observer Account.
- When using the Parent App (iOS and Android), search for Wake County Public Schools (NC) - Parents
As an observer, you will have limited permissions that allow you to see what is going on in a course without interrupting or participating in the course. You can:
- See the calendar
- See the modules page
- View course announcements
- Preview documents in course pages
- See Quiz titles
- See Canvas grades and assignment due dates
- Access conversations in the Inbox
You can view global navigation, course navigation, breadcrumb navigation, sidebar, and help link.
- The global navigation helps you get to where you want to go across all of your Canvas courses .
- The course navigation helps you get to where you want to go within your Canvas course .
- The breadcrumb navigation shows you where you have gone inside of a course and gives you a quick and easy way to move backward .
- The sidebar will be mostly empty for Observers .
- The help link is for when you need assistance. .