If your child is not riding the bus, please review the following carpool procedures.
WHERE DO WE ENTER/EXIT?
WYWLA families must use the Western Boulevard entrance and follow the designated carpool route. The Western Boulevard entrance is located next to the NC. Dept. of Agriculture Building. Enter through the gate and turn right at the first intersection. Follow the road until you reach the stop sign. Wait at the stop sign until a staff member motions for you to enter the carpool circle. After you unload/load, you will continue around the circle, turn left and exit following the same route that you used to enter. Drivers will enter and exit from Western Boulevard.
WHERE DO WE UNLOAD/LOAD?
Carpool drivers should release ALL students in front of Lineberry Hall during morning arrival.
Drivers should pull all the way around the circle to allow as many cars as possible to unload. Drivers should follow the same procedures in the afternoon. Campus Security and WYWLA staff will direct traffic during drop-off and pick-up.
WHY CAN'T WE USE THE MAIN ENTRANCES?
The main entrances are reserved for school buses and the employees who park on campus. Although we are a small school, the main entrance does not allow enough cars to enter and load or unload without blocking Ashe Avenue. We understand that this route may not be the most convenient for some families, but it is the safest for all students and employees who use the GMS Campus.
WHAT ELSE DO WE NEED TO KNOW?
To ensure the safety of WYWLA and GMS students, carpool drivers should follow the guidelines below:
- Drive slowly on campus and follow the directions of staff members who are assisting with carpool.
- Yield right-of-way to school buses and pedestrians moving about the campus.
- Follow the designated carpool routes; do not create different transportation routes to expedite your drop-off/pick-up. This is extremely important for the visually impaired GMS students who must adjust to our traffic routes as they are moving about campus.
- Do not drop off near the dining hall, gym, or high school building.
- Pull around the entire circle as far as possible to allow as many cars to load/unload as possible.
- Encourage your daughter to load or unload as quickly as possible.
- Families should not park near the dining hall, gym, Currin or the parking lot next to the Lineberry to pick up students. Parking spaces are for parents and guests who are visiting.
- It is important to follow these procedures in the morning during drop-off and in the afternoon for pick-up. These procedures should be followed even if staff members are not present to direct traffic.
WHAT ABOUT COVID SCREENINGS?
Each car will need to make two stops. The first stop is at the stop sign mentioned in the first question. A staff member will ask your daughter the required screening questions at that location. If she answers no to all of the questions, the driver will be instructed to pull into the carpool circle. A staff member will ask your daughter to remain in the car while her temperature is taken. If her temperature is below 100.4, she will exit the car and the driver will exit. If the temperature is above 100.4, the screener will take the temperature again. If is above 100.4 after three attempts, the driver will leave campus with the student.
WHAT TIME CAN WE DROP OFF AND PICK UP?
Staff members report to work at 7:05am each morning and will report to carpool duty at 7:10am. If you arrive prior to 7:10am, please wait at the stop sign until your daughter has been screened. Cars should not pull into the circle before answering the screening questions.
School dismisses at 2:10pm. Cars can line up and stop at the stop sign prior to 2:10pm. Due to COVID, students will not be released all at once. A staff member will meet you at 2:10pm and ask you for your child's name. Names will be sent to staff members in the building and students will be released. Students will wait in the building until their rides are on campus.
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?
If you are coming from the Cary or 440 end of Western Blvd, you will need to make a u-turn to access this entrance. If you are coming from the downtown area, stay in the right turning lane as you pass Central Prison. The pictures below are key landmarks to assist you.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation!