Career Development Coordinator
All students, whether college-bound or workforce-bound, are more likely to succeed academically if they see a direct correlation between their course work and their future beyond school. Providing this correlation is one of the most important responsibilities of a Career Development Coordinator.
WHAT IS SCHOOL-TO-CAREER?
School-to-Career (STC) is an initiative and a philosophy. It is a method of delivering curriculum to our students that links classroom knowledge to real life. Students learn better when information is made relevant, and STC ensures that relevancy occurs by linking schoolwork to workplace realities. School-to-Career links the world of school to the world of work by supporting school-based activities such as classroom speakers, mentors, soft-skills presentations, and real-world activities and by infusing these into the Common Core through collaboration between members of the business community and classroom teachers.
WHAT IS A CAREER DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR?
The Career Development Coordinator is responsible for:
- Providing career development services for all students
- Facilitating a network of parents, business professionals, college/university educators, and community organizations
- Supporting students’ transition to high school
WHAT DOES THE CAREER DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR DO FOR STUDENTS?
- The Career Development Coordinator provides a number of career-related experiences for students, including:
- Job Shadow Opportunities—Enabling students to be present in a “real world” job site, personally witnessing the connection between classroom and career
- Guest Speakers—Providing students the opportunity to hear from an individual in a specific field (their career of interest) discuss the aspects of their work.
- Field Trips—Exposing students to the real world of work, reinforcing what is being taught in their classroom.
- Interest Inventories—Assessing students on what careers best fit them, as well as providing opportunities to learn about careers unfamiliar to them
- Career Fairs/Days—Introducing students to a wide variety of real world professions and professionals.
- Tutors/Mentors—Pairing students with members of the Business Alliance for career and academic support
- Service Learning Opportunities- Integrating meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities
WHAT IS BUSINESS ALLIANCE?
Salem Middle School Business Alliance is a collaboration of business, community, and school leaders committed to educating each student to be a responsible and productive citizen who can effectively manage future challenges. Through the support, dedication and commitment of our volunteers, we are able to provide a variety of opportunities to our students that help them understand the skills needed to become successful in their future.