Grade 2 meets once per week for 40 minutes with Mrs. Vinal. These students are working on completing a 20 hour course in computer coding with Code Studio. Anyone can learn: Find out more about Code Studio
The Hour of Code 2015We celebrated Computer Science Week (December 7 - 11, 2015) with a program sponsored by Code.org.
- Landscape of K-12 Computer Science Education in the U.S.: A series of reports from Gallup, commissioned by Google, including "Images of Computer Science: Perceptions Among Students, Parents and Educators in the U.S." and "Searching for Computer Science: Access and Barriers in U.S. K-12 Education"
- On average, a computer science degree from ANY university earns a significantly higher financial return on investment than an arts & humanities degree from even the best schools
- Arkansas has seen a major boost in CS enrollment and diversity. This spring, Arkansas passed a law requiring (and funding) every high school to teach CS. Months later, Arkansas has seen a 260% increase in total CS enrollment, a 300% increase among females, and a 600% increase among African American females. This shows the massive impact of state policy on CS, and helps our advocacy efforts in other states.
- Twice as many Americans use computing in their jobs than previously reported, and half of those are in non-STEM fields. Outside of STEM fields, 40% of those doing complex computing work are women.
- Change the Equation has a summary of untapped minority talent in computing.
- Americans believe computer science is cool and one of the most important subjects of study in school.