May 7, 2023
Dear White Oak Families,
Our newsletter has important information each week for the remainder of the school year. Thank you for taking the time to read it!
Tuesday is our last Early Release day of the school year. Students are dismissed at 1:45.
Teacher Appreciation Week is this Week!
It is finally here! Our wonderful PTA has organized a special theme for each day (below). Please look for a text reminder each night. We are fortunate to such an amazing, dedicated staff. Let's show them our appreciation!
WCPSS Panorama Family Survey Closes Friday
The goal for each school in WCPSS to have at least 30% of families to respond to the Panorama Family Survey. Schools use the information to gather feedback about how we can continue to improve.
White Oak currently has 50 responses. Please take a few minutes to add your feedback: bit.ly/WCPSSFamilySurvey
Rising Kindergarten News
- Thursday, May 25 - 6-7pm
We will host an information session for rising Kindergarten families. The topics will include daily instruction, specials, transportation, and lunch. You will also hear from Mrs. Swaim, Mr. Boynton, and our PTA regarding how to be involved in your child's education. There will be an opportunity to see classroom in person, as well as the specials classrooms, cafeteria and a school bus. Parents are encouraged to bring their rising Kindergarten students!
Stories from the Specialists
ESL with Ms. Hensinger
My name is Kathy Hensinger and I work with Multiple Language Learners at school. These are students who speak other languages at home, in addition to English. At all grade levels, we are currently working on activities that support their grade level EL curriculum.
- In Kindergarten, students enjoyed reading a non-fiction book about trees called, Fall Is Not Easy. They used their imaginations to create trees that look a bit different than real trees.
- In First Grade we read the story, A Fine, Fine School. Students gave their opinions about going to school 7 days a week and on holidays and summer vacation. You can imagine what they thought about that!
- In Second Grade we have also been exploring fables. We read The Goat in the Chile Patch and discussed the central message of the story. You may be surprised to find out who actually got the goat out of the chile patch!
- In Fourth Grade, we are really hitting the books to learn about idioms. They are putting on their thinking caps and letting the idioms fly! We could go on and on.
I am expecting the results from the Access Testing to be returned soon. Sometimes they arrive during the last week of school. As soon as I receive the scores, I will send them home with your child. If you have any questions, you can email me at email@example.com.
Positivity Project - Character Strength of the Week
The Positivity Project (P2) is a character education program (funded by our PTA) and dedicated to empowering America's youth to build positive relationships by seeing the good in themselves and others. We hope you enjoy using the character strengths vocabulary and have meaningful conversations at home that support your child's learning here at school.
This Week's Character Strength: HUMOR
- Family Letter for the week of May 8th-12th- Humor - The password for each P2 for Families page is simply: P2
- White Oak P2 Calendar 2022-23
PTA News & Updates
Spirit Night: Handel's Ice Cream - Tuesday, May 16 - 5:00-9:00pm!
Join the WOES PTA for the final Spirit Night of the year! Please show this flyer when ordering (printed or on phone) and help support our school!
WOES PTA Website
Stay in the know: Visit the WOES PTA website to learn more about Spirit Wear, PTA events, and more! https://woespta.membershiptoolkit.com/home
Purchase your Spirit Wear and show your WOES spirit!
Please make sure you check your child's class newsletter sent each week on Friday:
|May 8 - 12||
Teacher Appreciation Week!
|Tuesday, May 9||
Early Release @1:45
|Friday, May 12||
Interim Reports Sent Home
|Tuesday, May 16||
Spirit Night - Handel’s Homemade Ice Cream
|Thursday, May 25||
Kindergarten Orientation 6-7pm
|Monday, May 29||
NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
|Wednesday, May 31||
EOG Reading (3rd-5th)
|Thursday, June 1||
EOG Math (3rd-5th)
|Friday, June 2||
EOG Science (5th grade)
|Wednesday, June 7||
5th Grade Promotion Ceremony at Green Level HS - 6pm
|Friday, June 9||
Last Day of School
THANK YOU for all of your support!
Robin Swaim, Principal
Kevin Boynton, Assistant Principal
& all of the Explorer Staff