March 5, 2023
Dear White Oak Families,
We hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend. As a reminder, there is NO SCHOOL for students on Tuesday due to the Teacher Workday.
- There will be a virtual SSA Parent Meeting on Tuesday, March 7 at 8:00am. Use the Google Meet link to join: https://meet.google.com/msc-vxcu-orm
Restarting devices helps fix tech problems. If your child brings home their school device, please help us to shut them down at LEAST once a week. Restarting allows the device to update and apply security fixes which limit potential problems.
Mark Your Calendars! End of Grade (EOG) Dates
We have finalized the following dates for 3rd-5th grade students:
|Wednesday, May 31||
3rd, 4th & 5th grade ELA
|Thursday, June 1||
3rd, 4th & 5th grade Math
|Friday, June 2||
5th grade Science
Special School Spirit Days & Food Drive
Thursday, March 16th - Find your Gold at the end of the RAINBOW DAY
(each grade level dresses in a different color)
- Pre-K/ECS: White
- Kindergarten: Red
- 1st: Orange
- 2nd: Yellow
- 3rd: Green
- 4th: Blue
- 5th: Purple
Friday, March 17th – Go Green for St. Patrick’s Day!
Make everyone green with envy of your best St. Patty’s Day gear! Wear green clothes, green shoes, green socks, shamrock headbands, anything you have to show your St. Patrick’s Day spirit!
Let's shamROCK our canned Food Drive!
Fill up our pots of gold from March 13th - March 17th by donating canned food items and earn a lucky clover!
Stories from the Specialists
ARTS IN MOTION with Ms. Burise
Students are busy expressing their creativity in Arts in Motion.
- Kindergarten is creating acrostic and lune poems and incorporating rhythms to match their poem syllables. “Follow the Rainbow” has become their new favorite song. They sing, play and dance to this upbeat March Celtic tune.
- 1st & 2nd graders are also working on lune poems as well as cinquain poems. We are exploring the celebration of spring by creating art about the holiday of Holi. Students share how their families celebrate in the community and at home.
- 3rd grade is just beginning to develop a diamante poem about Peter Pan, a book they have read in their classroom. We will also analyze the illustrations in this classic literary work.
- 4th graders had a wonderful time comparing three variations of the piece “All You Need Is Love” in February. Their favorite was the version in which 156 countries sang the song at the same time.
- 5th grade just finished their autobiography poems and self-portraits. They will be on display on Thursday, March 23rd for parents to admire. Fifth graders will also be performing their Unity Raps based on their language arts curriculum. Please plan to join us at White Oak on March 23rd from 5:30-7. The science fair will be on display as well as fifth grade performances and exhibits.
Order your 2022-2023 WOES Yearbook!
- $30 for hardcover and $25 for softcover. (Name & Portrait on Cover - Add $6)
- Online Code: YB26565
- Deadline to order is April 28
Rising 6th Grade Parent Information
PTA News & Updates
Save the date for our next Spirit Night at Panera Bread @Parkside!
March 21, 2023 4:00 - 8:00pm. Additional details coming soon!
Save the Date: WOES PTA Spring Carnival
Mark your calendars for this fun event that will take place on April 20, 2023!
More details are coming soon.
WOES PTA Website
Stay in the know: Visit the WOES PTA website to learn more about Spirit Wear, PTA events, and more! https://woespta.membershiptoolkit.com/home
Purchase your Spirit Wear and show your WOES spirit!
Please make sure you check your child's class newsletter sent each week on Friday:
|Tuesday, March 7||
SSA Parent Meeting
|Sunday, March 12||
DST Begins - Spring Forward
|Tuesday, March 14||
|Thursday, March 23||
5th Grade Unity Raps
|Friday, March 24||
Early Release @1:45
|Thursday, March 30||
End of 3rd Quarter
|Friday, March 31||
THANK YOU for all of your support!
Robin Swaim, Principal
Kevin Boynton, Assistant Principal
& all of the Explorer Staff